Email Client Thunderbird 78.2.0 released
A new version of the open source email client Thunderbird is now available. Thunderbird 78.2.0 is an update for the new main branch of the email client, Thunderbird 78.0.
Thunderbird 78.0 is only available as a direct download from the project website, in-client upgrades from Thunderbird 68.x are not offered at the time of writing because of major changes that went into the new version. One of the main difference between Thunderbird 68.x and 78.x concerns add-ons support. Thunderbird 78.x supports only MailExtensions and not classic add-ons. The likelihood that some add-ons won't function anymore in the new major version is high.
Devices with Thunderbird 78.x installed will receive the update to the new version through the automatic updates feature of the email client. Users can run manual checks for updates by selecting Help > About Thunderbird to speed up the process.
Thunderbird 78.2.0 changes
The development team planned to enable OpenPGP support by default in Thunderbird 78.2.0 but decided to postpone it. The security feature can be enabled manually but the development team suggests to only use it if OpenPGP is used for "non-critical purposes".
To enable it in Thunderbird 78.0, use the config editor and change the value of preference mail.openpgp.enable to true, then restart Thunderbird.
Thunderbird 78.2.0 is a bug fix release for the most part. It includes some changes, but most users would probably consider these minor:
- OpenPGP key generation is disabled if no default mail account is configured.
- Saved drafts are encrypted if OpenPGP is enabled.
- Twitter Search was removed.
- The calendar's event summary dialog supports themes.
- Some MailExtensions APIs use "defineLazyPreferenceGetter" to benefit from caching.
Fixes make up the bulk of the changes in the new version of Thunderbird:
- OpenPGP Key Manager search function fixed.
- OpenPGP Key properties dialog was too small sometimes.
- OpenPGP encrypted emails would not send if the address included uppercase characters.
- OpenPGP fixed resizing of Key ID column.
- OpenPGP fixed the importing of keys containing invalid UTF-8 strings.
- OpenPGP automatic signing for encrypted messages enabled in additional scenarios.
- More, unnamed, OpenPGP fixes.
- Fixed IMAP fetch chunk size.
- Fixed an attachment corruption issue when downloading large attachments from IMAP servers that support chunking.
- IMAP server capabilities were not rechecked after upgrading SSL/TLS connections.
- Message composition with fixed with fonts did not work.
- Fixed dragging and dropping of address book contacts in some scenarios.
- Fixed address book migration failed when the file name had a dot.
- Fixed "always prefer display name over message header" setting was always checked when editing contacts.
- Address book performance improvements.
- Fixed new mail account from Account Settings did not open.
- Ctrl-A in messages did not work until focused with a mouse click.
- Fixed Ctrl-scroll not zooming in message reader.
- Fixed setting/changing a signature from a file was lost when closing account settings.
- Fixed adaptive junk mail settings could not be disabled.
- Message filter dialog fixes.
- Various, unnamed, UX and theme improvements.
You can check out the entire release notes here.Advertisement