Yahoo rolled out a new mail interface yesterday that brought several Mail Plus features to free account users. That's a good thing for the most part, but with every update there are things that existing users do not like.
When it comes to Yahoo's update yesterday, they include missing mail tabs, the hidden folders, and a font style that is not pleasing to the eye.
While some things, like the missing tabs cannot be fixed right now, as there is no option to restore tabs to the site, others can be reverted back to their old state.
This guide looks at the options that you have to make those changes.
As far as tabs go, the only option that comes close is to middle-click emails in Yahoo, as they then open in a new browser tab. While that is not the same as using tabs in a single browser tab, it is the next best thing.
Yahoo Mail changes
First thing you may notice is the new text style used to display emails on Yahoo! Mail. All unread messages are displayed in bold, which makes them hard to read for some users. The emails are also squeezed in on the page, so that there is little room between emails on it. That's great if you need to display a lot of emails on the screen at the same time, not so much if you prefer the separators to be larger to improve readability.
Good news is, you can change the inbox text easily on Yahoo.
- Move your mouse cursor over the settings icon in the top right corner next to your Yahoo! username.
- Select Settings from the menu. This should open an overlay window that displays the preferences.
- Switch to Viewing email. Here you find two preferences that are responsible for the display of emails on Yahoo! Mail.
- The first is message list density. It is set to slim by default. You can change that to regular or relaxed to increase the room for each list item on the page. Note that this will have the consequence that you see less emails at once on the screen.
- The second is plain text font. It is set to modern and tiny by default. Change that to Classic and Small for example, or Classic Wide and Medium,or experiment with the other font types and sizes that are available here.
- Click on Save afterwards, and the inbox will be reloaded with the new settings.
How it looks like after you have made those changes? Lets take a look at the screenshot below to find out. As I said previously, you can play around with the available settings until you find one that you can work with.
As far as folders go that are only displayed when you click on the folders link in the left menu, that too can be changed.
Go back to the same settings menu that you were in previously. Below the font settings, you find an option to switch to the basic version of mail.
When you select it, Yahoo will revert to the old Mail style where folders are displayed on the left automatically. It resembles the old style and will use font settings and styles of its own.
What it does not add back though are tabs.
Update: You can get back tabs on Yahoo! Mail after all. What you need to do is switch back and forth between the basic and newest version of the interface until tabs are suddenly working again. You will recognize this when you see Inbox, Contacts and Calendar showing up in tabs in the basic version. When that happens, tabs are back and any click on an email will open it in a new tab in the interface.
You can change back to the new Yahoo! Mail at any time with a click on the link that is displayed in the interface.
Update 2: Tabs are back. Yahoo announced today that it is rolling out a tabbed interface option for all users of its Yahoo Mail email service.