Microsoft Security Updates March 2018 release overview
Today is Microsoft's Security Patch Day for March 2018. The company released security updates for all supported client and server versions of Windows, and other company products such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer.
Our Microsoft Security Updates overview provides you with a detailed overview: it lists all released security and non-security updates, security advisories, and links to direct downloads and additional resources for research.
Note: We recommend that you back up Windows' system partition before you install any update released by Microsoft. You can use free backup tools like Veeam Endpoint Backup or Macrium Reflect for that, or one of the backup programs listed here.
Microsoft Security Updates March 2018
You may download the following Excel spreadsheet to your local system. It contains a list of all security patches for all Microsoft products released on this Patch Day. Click on the following link to download it: (Download Removed)
- Security updates are available for all supported versions of Windows (client and server).
- Other Microsoft products with security updates are: Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Exchange Server, PowerShell Core, Adobe Flash, Microsoft Office
- No critical vulnerabilities for Windows versions but for Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.
- Microsoft lifted the antivirus compatibility check on Windows 10 version 1607, 1703 and 1709.
Operating System Distribution
- Windows 7: 21 vulnerabilities of which 21 are rated important
- Windows 8.1: 20 vulnerabilities of which 20 are rated important
- Windows 10 version 1607: 29 vulnerabilities of which 29 are rated important
- Windows 10 version 1703: 28 vulnerabilities of which 28 are rated important
- Windows 10 version 1709: 24 vulnerabilities of which 24 are rated important
Windows Server products
- Windows Server 2008: 21 vulnerabilities of which 21 are rated important
- Windows Server 2008 R2: 22 vulnerabilities of which 22 are rated important
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2: 21 vulnerabilities of which 21 are rated important
- Windows Server 2016: 29 vulnerabilities of which 29 are rated important
Other Microsoft Products
- Internet Explorer 11: 7 vulnerabilities, 2 critical, 5 important
- Microsoft Edge: 16 vulnerabilities, 12 critical, 4 important
KB4088875 -- Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Monthly Rollup
- Includes security updates for Internet Explorer, the Microsoft Graphics component, Windows Kernel, Windows Shell, Windows MSXML, Windows Installer, and Windows Hyper-V.
- Cumulative Spectre and Meltdown protections for 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
- Addressed Internet Explorer unresponsive issue when Browser Helper Objects are installed.
- Legacy Document Mode cell visibility update in Internet Explorer.
- Fixed Internet Explorer stopped working issue in printing scenarios.
- Fixed Internet Explorer stopped working issue when using Developer Tools.
KB4088878 -- Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Security-Only Update
- Same security updates and cumulative Spectre and Meltdown protection updates as KB4088875.
KB4088876 -- Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Monthly Rollup
- Same security updates and fixed issues as in KB4088875.
- Addressed sign-in issues to Windows 2012 R2 servers when using custom credential provider on a console or RDP.
- Fixed Internet Explorer issue that caused Outlook's web app to slow down.
KB4088879 -- Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Monthly Rollup
- Same security updates as KB4088876 plus Windows 2012 R2 server issue.
KB4000825 -- Windows 10 version 1607 and Windows Server 2016
- Security updates to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Windows Search component, Windows Desktop Bridge, Microsoft Graphics component, Windows Kernel, Windows Shell, Windows MSXML, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Installer, and Windows Hyper-V.
- Addressed XML document printing issue in IE and Edge.
- Addressed stopped working issue in IE when using F12 developer tools.
- Updated legacy Document Mode cell visibility in IE.
- Addressed IE becoming unresponsive issue when installing Browser Helper Objects.
- Addressed issue that affected some antivirus software versions on which the antivirus updated the Allow Regkey.
- Addressed AD FS server issue causing WID AD FS database to become unusable after a restart.
- Fixed online video playback becoming unresponsive issue.
KB4088782 -- Windows 10 version 1703
- Same as KB4000825 for the most part plus..
- SMB shared files access issue with the error ERROR_INVALID_REPARSE_DATA resulting in errors when editing some group policies (The data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071128)).
KB4088776 -- Windows 10 version 1709
- Same as KB4000825 for the most part plus..
- Fixed issue that prevented media and other apps from becoming unresponsive or failing during graphics drivers updates.
- Addressed "Check your account, you don't own this content" error when customers tried to play or install owned content.
- Addressed "We couldnâ€™t download the Windows Mixed Reality Software" after installing KB4090913.
KB4089187 -- Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: March 13, 2018
KB4088785 -- Security update for Adobe Flash Player: March 13, 2018
KB4056564 -- Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP EmbeddedÂ update that fixes a CredSSP remote code execution vulnerability.
KB4073011 -- Windows Server 2008 update that fixes a Windows Hyper-V denial of service vulnerability.
KB4087398 -- Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP Embedded update that fixes a Windows Installer elevation of privilege Vulnerability.
KB4088827 -- Windows Server 2008 update that patches a Hyper-V information disclosure vulnerability.
KB4088880 -- Windows Embedded 8 Standard and Windows Server 2012 update -- security only update.
KB4089082 -- Windows XP Embedded patches Microsoft Video Control elevation of privilege vulnerability.
KB4089175 -- Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP Embedded addresses Windows shell remote code execution vulnerability.
KB4089229 -- Windows Server 2008 addresses Windows Kernel vulnerabilities.
KB4089344 -- Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP Embedded fixes elevation of privileges vulnerability in Windows Graphics Device Interface.
KB4089453 --Windows Server 2008 and Windows XP Embedded fixes Windows remote assistance information disclosure vulnerability.
KB4089694 -- Windows XP Embedded patches Windows Wireless WPA pairwise encryption key reinstallation vulnerability.
KB4090450 -- Windows Server 2008 addresses speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities.
- (Windows 7) SMB Servers may leak memory after installing the update -- Fix in the works.
- (Windows 7) Stop error on machines with the Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode disabled -- Update is not delivered to 32-bit systems with PAE disabled.
- (Windows 7) Stop error on machines not support Single Instructions Multiple Data (SIMD) Extensions 2 (SSE2) -- Fix is in the works.
- (Windows 7 and 8.1) No updates for systems without compatible antivirus solution or Registry key set -- Set Registry key:
- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat
- Name: cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc
- Type: Dword (32-bit) Value
- Data: 0x00000000
Security advisories and updates
ADV180005 -- all Windows version -- Document signing deprecation in XPS Viewer
Non-security related updates
KB4092077 -- Windows 10 version 1703 -- Fixes UI usability issues after installing the previous update for the operating system version.
KB4090913 -- Windows 10 Version 1709 -- This update fixes the "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" issue and issue with some USB devices and onboard devices that stopped working.
KB4077525 -- Windows 10 Version 1607 and Server 2016 -- Huge update that fixes a large number of issues (mostly in Windows Server 2016)
KB4089848 -- Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016, and Windows 10 Version 1709
KB4089938 -- Dynamic Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 -- Compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1709
KB4090007 -- Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 -- Intel microcode updates
KB4091663 -- Update for Windows 10 Version 1703
KB4091664 -- Update for Windows 10 Version 1607
KB4091666 -- Update for Windows 10 Version 1507
KB890830 -- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 201
Microsoft Office Updates
KB4011665 -- Access 2016 update to prevent remote code execution attacks using specially crafted Office files.
KB4011727 -- Same as KB4011665 but for Excel 2016.
KB4011730 -- Same as KB4011665 but for Word 2016.
KB4011234 -- Access 2013 fix described in KB4011665
KB4018291 -- Excel 2013 fix described in KB4011727
KB4011695 -- Word 2013 fix described in KB4011727
KB4011673 -- Fixes a remote code execution vulnerability in Office 2010.
KB3114416 -- Access 2010 fix described in KB4011665
KB4011675 -- Excel 2010 fix described in KB4011727
KB4011674 -- Word 2010 fix described in KB4011727
How to download and install the March 2018 security updates
All security updates get released as cumulative updates for all supported operating systems. The primary method of distributing new security updates is via Windows Update, the built-in updating system of Windows.
Windows systems run update checks regularly but not in real-time. Users who want to download and install the updates the moment they are released can do so by manually checking for updates.
Note that it is advised to create a system backup before the installation of updates to have a third-party option to restore the old version.
Do the following to check for updates:
- Tap on the Windows-key, type Windows Update, and select the result from the list of items returned to you by Windows Search.
- Select "check for updates" or wait until the automatic update scan completes.
- Wait until the automatic downloading and installation of updates completes, or initiate the process with a click on the download button.
Updates can also be downloaded from Microsoft's Update Catalog website, or through other means, WSUS for instance for Windows Server updates.
Direct update downloads
You can download cumulative updates and rollup patches for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and the server operating systems Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016 from the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP
- KB4088875 â€” 2018-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7
- KB4088878 â€” 2018-03 Security Only Quality Update for Windows 7
Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB4088876 â€” 2018-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1
- KB4088879Â â€” 2018-03 Security Only Quality Update for Windows 8.1
Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 (version 1607)
- KB4088787Â â€” 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016
Windows 10 (version 1703)
- KB4088782â€” 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703
Windows 10 (version 1709)
- KB4088776Â â€” 2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709