When you try to access DVD Fab related domains today, you will notice that most of them are not reachable anymore. This is the consequence of a US court order ruling in favor of the AACS (Advanced Access Content System) consortium that includes companies such as Disney, Intel, Sony, Microsoft or IBM.
Effective immediately, most domains belonging to the company were seized, including dvdfab.com. In addition, hosting companies and social networking providers were ordered to stop servicing the company, and bank and payment providers were asked to freeze company funds.
The company has created several free and commercial products such as DVDFab HD Decrypter, to rip DVD and Blu-Ray movies, bypassing protection in the process.
It is interesting to note that the company did not only produce software to back up movie DVDs and Blu-Rays, but also other programs such as a Media Player to play movies on computer systems.
Additional information can be obtained on the Torrent Freak website.
If you have DVDFab software installed, you can continue to use it just like before. If you are looking for software that helps you create back ups of DVDs or Blu-Ray movies, or rip them to drive to watch them on it, then you may find the following alternatives useful for that.
Disclaimer: Please note that circumventing copy protection may be illegal in your region or country. In some countries at the very least, you are allowed to make personal backups from DVD and Blu-Ray movies that you have purchased. Why that is not a given in all countries is a mystery to me.
- AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD - Both programs are commercial, but can be used to remove restrictions and region codes from DVDs or Blu-Ray discs. Both programs can remove forced trailers, delays and other restrictions on top of that as well.
- BitRipper - Can convert DVD movies to avi video files.
- DVD43 - A free DVD decrypter that disables DVD copy protection so that you can use programs to rip or back up the DVD.
- DVD Decrypter - Works just like DVD43, but with the difference that it can be used directly to make disk image backups of video DVDs.
- DVD Ranger - A commercial application that can be used to copy DVD and Blu-Ray movies.
- Easy Brake -
- MakeMKV - A free program to rip DVD and Blu-Ray videos to the hard drive.
- VidCoder - Another free DVD and Blu-Ray ripping software for Windows.
- WinX Blu-Ray Decrypter - A commercial program that can decrypt and copy Blu-Ray movies.
- WinX DVD Ripper Platinum - A commercial program that can rip videos from any DVD.
Did we miss an alternative? Let us know in the comment section below.