Android 12 Developer Preview 2 for OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro is now available for testing
We are about a week away from Android 12's release, and OEMs are prepping their devices for the latest iteration of the OS. OnePlus has announced the availability of the Android 12 Developer Preview 2 for OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro.
In case you missed it, OnePlus recently confirmed that it is merging its custom Android skin, OxygenOS, with that of OPPO's ColorOS. The new integrated OS is expected to be released soon, possibly with the Android 12 update.
Back on topic of the latest preview build, the firmware is available worldwide, there are two regional versions that you may choose from - IN (India) and NA (North America). What that means is that European users cannot test the new build. T-Mobile (TMO) and Verizon Wireless (VZW) variants of the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro are not compatible with this firmware. You should ensure that your device's battery level is at least 30%, before installing the update.
How to download and install the Android 12 Developer Preview 2 for OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro
Head to the official announcement, to find the download links of the update. Choose the correct file for your device, if you have a OnePlus 9, choose the OP9 link. If you have a OnePlus 9 Pro, use the OP9P link instead. Copy the ZIP file to the main folder of your phone's storage, and navigate to the Settings > System > System Updates screen. Tap the icon in the top right corner, select the Local Upgrade option, and pick the file that you downloaded. Hit the Upgrade button > System Upgrade, keep the device aside and wait for it to finish installing the update.
What's new in the latest build?
According to the release notes for the Android 12 DP 2, the company has made a few improvements to the firmware.
The auto brightness setting now supports more scenes, aka different lighting conditions. OnePlus says that the new build reduces accidental touches on the sides of the curved display. Floating windows have faster switching for a better multi-tasking experience. The change log says that there are new widgets available, that you may use for getting information from apps, or to act as shortcuts for various functions.
The settings page layout has also been overhauled to highlight key information. The Camera app's UI is a bit more customizable, and you can change the order of the camera modes. OnePlus states that it has improved the camera's zoom functionality to make it smoother. A new chart mode is available under the battery usage settings. The OS detects apps that you use frequently and pre-loads them in the background, so you can switch to them quickly. Options for toggling Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode and NFC have been improved to work faster. The firmware also ships with some optimizations that should offer better frame rates in games
Please be aware that there are quite a few known issues in the preview build.
- Camera does not support Xpan, and contains some stability issues.
- This version does not support scrolling screenshot.
- The icon of Bluetooth connection displays abnormally.
- The icon of charging displays abnormally.
- The Could Service is unavailable
- Camera does not contain Hasselblad elements.
- This version does not adapt some third-party apps.
- The Google dial plate does not contain call record. This can be solved by updating Phone App in Play Store.
- After recording the screen, it cannot get screenshot by three-finger swipe down gesture or three-finger long press gesture. This can be solved by pressing Power button and Volume Down button simultaneously to screenshot.
- It may not be advisable to flash a developer preview, alpha or beta firmware on your phone, if you're using it as your daily driver. If that doesn't deter you, take a backup of your data before installing the cutting-edge software.
Should you want to downgrade to Android 11, you can do so by using the rollback package available on OnePlus' website. The OnePlus 9R, that is exclusive to India, is not eligible for the Android 12 Developer Preview.Advertisement