Telegram update brings protected content in groups and channels
A new version of the messaging application Telegram is now available for all supported systems. The new version introduces several new features and improvements, some of which are limited to certain operating systems.
Telegram should notify users about the update when it is opened the next time. It may also be updated automatically on some devices.
A new blog post on the official Telegram blog lists all new features. Here is an overview of what is new and improved:
- Protected Content in Groups and Channels -- Telegram group and channel owners may enable restrictions for all members which restricts message forwarding, the capturing of screenshots, and limits the ability to save media posted to the group or channel. Administrators may enable the feature under Settings > Group Type / Channel Type > Restrict Saving Content. Users who attempt these operations receive the following error messages:
- Can't take screenshot due to the security policy.
- Copying and forwarding is not allowed in this group.
- Clear Chat History from a specific day or date range in all one-on-one-chats. To use the feature, tap on the date bar in the chat window, select the dates that you want to clear, and then "clear history from these days".
- New button to link desktop devices quickly and a new setting to log out inactive devices automatically after a period of time. Select Devices under Settings to get started.
- Option to appear as a channel when posting to public groups or leave channel comments. Tap the profile picture next to the message bar to select one of the available channels for posting.
- New log in verification option through an incoming Telegram call and entering several digits of the phone number that called instead of receiving the code via a text message.
- Join requests highlight the community they are from.
- Android users may use global chat themes. This unlocks the themes for individual chats for the entire app. The feature is already available on iOS.
- Devices with iOS 13 or newer may use Text Recognition which allows users to "quickly select, copy and search". Image recognition happens on the device.
- Media captions on iOS support bold and italics now.
- Redesigned contact info on iOS.
The new update of Telegram is rolling out to all client installations.
Now You: do you use Telegram or another messaging app?Advertisement