Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 Released
Microsoft today has released the Office 2010 Service Pack 1 which combines improvements, new features and previously released updates in a single update pack. The update is available for free if downloaded from the Internet. Microsoft notes that Office 2010 SP1 contains all "public updates that were released through June 2011" and all "cumulative updates that were released through April 2011" in addition to "improvements in stability, performance, and in security".
The description of Office 2010 SP1 page details the new features and updates of the service pack. Here is a short list of the most promising new features, fixes and updates.
- Stability, Performance and backward compatibility of Excel 2010 has been improved.
- Office 365 support has been added to Outlook 2010
- PowerPoint Viewer is now included when selecting the Package for CD option
- Fixes the following error message in Word 2010: Microsoft Office Word has encountered a problem and needs to close.
- Fixes Word co-authoring issues and conflicts.
- Open OneNote notebooks from Windows Live SkyDrive
- OneNote synchronization improvements with SharePoint and Windows Live SkyDrive.
As you can see from this list and the official listing at the Microsoft KnowledgeBase, there has not been many feature additions. A lot of the features improve cloud connectivity or fix minor issues. That is, apart from all the updates, especially security related, that the majority of Office 2010 users have probably downloaded before.
Last month's Technet blog post announcing the upcoming service pack 1 for Office 2010 offered additional details on feature additions.
- Office Web Applications are not officially supported under Google Chrome.
- Outlook Web Application Attachment Preview (with Exchange Online only)
- Backup and restore has been improved for SharePoint Server
The very same blog post lists the fixes and updates that have been previously released by Microsoft and are included in the service pack.
Microsoft Office users can download the service pack from Windows Update, Microsoft Update or via Microsoft's Download Center.
The 32-bit Service Pack 1 for Office 2010 has a size of 361 Megabytes, the 64-bit SP1 one of 439.
Microsoft Office 2010 SP1 Download Links
Here are the direct download links of Office 2010 Service Pack 1, helpful if you want to update more than one Office 2010 installation without downloading the update multiple times.