Firefox 64.0 Release Information
The Firefox 64.0 Stable release data is December 11, 2018. Mozilla published Firefox 63.0 in October 2018; Firefox 64 is the last major release of the web browser in 2018.
Our release overview provides you with detailed information such as a list of important changes, security information, developer changes, and known issues.
All Firefox channels are updated at the same time. Firefox Stable is updated to version 64.0, Firefox Beta to version 65.0, Firefox Nightly to version 66.0, and Firefox ESR to version 60.4.
Firefox 64.0 download and update
Firefox 64.0 was first offered on December 11, 2018 to all users. The update may not yet be available if you read the guide on December 11.
Firefox is set up to download and install updates automatically. You can run a manual check for updates to pick up the new version that way.
Just select Menu > Help > Check for Updates to run a manual check for updates. The update is downloaded and installed automatically or manually then depending on Firefox's configuration.
Users who prefer manual downloads can do so by following the links below.
- Firefox Stable download
- Firefox Beta download
- Nightly download
- Firefox ESR download
- Firefox unbranded builds information
Firefox 64.0 Changes
Only enabled for users in the U.S., Firefox may display recommendations to users based on activity and other metrics.
Users who visit certain sites, e.g. YouTube or Reddit, may notice a new recommended icon in Firefox's address bar. A click on it displays a suggested extension along with options to install it in Firefox.
Mozilla notes that users may also see suggestions for Firefox features and services based on usage.
Check out our guide on disabling extension recommendations in Firefox here. The feature is powered by this preference: about:config?filter=browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouterExperimentEnabled
Extension management changes
Mozilla implemented several changes in Firefox 64.0 that affect extension management. The layout of the about:addons page was switched to a cards design. Each add-on on the page is listed as a card now in Firefox 64.0.
Cards can be expanded with a click, and the buttons to change the status of the extension, remove it, update it, or open its options are provided.
The new layout is not well suited for small browser windows.
Other extension related changes include right-clicking on any extension in Firefox's main toolbar to remove it, sticky extension installation notifications, and the highlighting of extensions that manage notifications in the Notification Permission dialog.
Firefox users may select multiple tabs in the new version of the browser. Just hold down the Ctrl-key and left-click on tabs to select/deselect them.
Drag and drop is supported to move the selection of tabs in the same browser window or to another window.
Right-click actions, e.g. pin, close, or bookmark, are supported as well.
Selected tabs display a color on top of the tabbar.
Task Manager on about:performance
Mozilla changed the content displayed on about:performance in Firefox 64.0. The current version displays open tabs and extensions, and the energy impact of each item listed.
Firefox developers plan to add memory information to the page and other options eventually. For now, it is rather bare bones.
- RSS/Atom feed previews have been removed. Mozilla asks affected users to install add-ons to replace the functionality.
- Performance improvements on Linux and Mac systems "by enabling Link Time Optimization". The feature launched for Windows in Firefox 63.0.
- New native sharing support in Windows.
- Policy engine update on Mac OS X.
- Redesign of about:crashes to make it clearer when crash reports are submitted to Mozilla.
- Mac OS X: keyboard shortcuts Apple-Enter replaced with Ctrl-Enter to add www. and .com to a URL.
Firefox 64.0 known issues
- The Accessibility info bar, displayed when you hover over items on the webpage when you are in the Accessibility tab of the Developer tools, displays color contrast information.
- The device selection is saved in Responsive Design Mode between sessions.
- Developer Tools GCLI has been removed. See Developer Toolbar removal.
- The preference layout.css.filters.enabled was removed. CSS Filters cannot be disabled anymore.
- Extensions may control context menus.
- CSS Grid Inspector supports overlaying up to 3 CSS grids.
- WebVR support on Mac OS X.
Firefox 64.0 for Android
- Scrolling was improved to be "faster and more responsive".
- File downloads are no longer deleted on the Android device when Firefox is removed.
- Addressed performance issues for users with installed password managers.
- Fixed a loading indicator issue that used too much CPU and power.
Security updates / fixes
- Symantec issued certificates, Symantec, GeoTrust, RapidSSL, Thawte, Verisign, are distrusted.
All patched security issues in Firefox 64.0 are listed here.
Firefox 65.0 Stable will be released on January 29, 2019 according to schedule. Mozilla may release minor updates for Firefox 64.0 in the coming weeks if issues are found.
Additional information / sources