Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition released for GNU/Linux (and Windows)
I'm a gigantic fan of RPG games. I love a good gripping storyline, that draws you in with great character depth and a deep and intriguing plot. Neverwinter Nights was an absolutely stellar game in my opinion, and it boasted quite the awesome online community as well.
Thankfully, itâ€™s just been released in an enhanced edition on Steam as well as all the expansion packs, by developer Beamdog, with complete support for penguin users!
The steam page says, â€œNeverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition adds all-new enhanced features to the content of Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition. Slink through the shadows as a deadly half-elven rogue, wield fearsome magics as a powerful gnomish sorcerer, vanquish your foes as an armor-clad dwarven paladin... whatever hero you create, incredible adventures await. Discover magic, wonder, and danger at every turn on your own or with friends in these classic Dungeons & Dragons adventures.â€
The Steam page also lists some new enhancements:
- Improved Display: Your portrait, combat bar, inventory, and other UI elements adjust in size based on your chosen resolution including 1080p and 4k.
- Advanced Graphics Options: Pixel shaders and post-processing effects make for crisper, cleaner visuals. Enable contrast, vibrance, and depth of field options as preferred.
- Community Endorsed: Original developers have teamed with key members of the Neverwinter Nights community to curate important fan-requested improvements to support players, storytellers, and modders.
- Backwards Compatibility: Works with save games, modules, and mods from the original Neverwinter Nights. A galaxy of community created content awaits.
Being a gigantic D&D Fan, and having been a big fan of the game from my older Windows days, I personally am totally excited about this. The storyline was good, the character depth is great, and I personally am really hoping this will bring back the giant online Roleplaying communities that used to exist as well.
But, for those of you who didnâ€™t know, this isnâ€™t the first big name RPG game Beamdog has brought back. If youâ€™re a fan of Baldurs Gate, or Icewind Dale for example, youâ€™ll be happy to know you can also find these, on Steam, with Linux Compatibility:
- Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition
- Baldurs Gate: Enhanced Edition
- Baldurs Gate II: Enhanced Edition
- Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
I played the classic Neverwinter Nights game back in the days and loved it. I like roleplaying games as well and Neverwinter Nights introduced something back then that other classic Dungeons and Dragons games did not offer: multiplayer. I played the game with a friend which in my experience catapulted the game to a new level of fun.
The developers added an editor to the game that gave you options to create your own adventures or integrate adventures created by other users of the game. The game includes two expansion packs and three premium modules but it is not a complete offer as you may purchase additional modules on Steam.
I have not played the enhanced version of the game yet and can't say how good it is. Initial Steam reviews are mostly positive; users who rated it negative complain about crashes, bugs and other issues. I recommend you check out the review section or read reviews on game sites for additional information.
I have added the game to my wishlist and will buy it eventually, maybe on the next sale whenever that may happen.
Check it out
More information can be found on the official Steam page, here http://store.steampowered.com/app/704450/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition/
Now you: Are you a fan of the old classic RPGâ€™s? Which ones? Let us know in the comments!Advertisement