qBittorrent 4.0 Bittorrent client is out
The developers of the popular open source cross-platform Bittorrent client qBittorrent have released version 4.0 of the client today.
Users who run the client are informed about the update, and downloads are provided already on the official project website for all supported operating systems.
QBittorrent 4.0 is a major new release, as indicated by the jump to version 4.0 from the previous 3.3.x version. New features include support for environmental variables, custom save locations for configuration files and full portable mode support because of that, and more.
qBittorrent related articles
- qBittorrent’s Advanced Saving Management explained
- Configure qBittorrent to block transfers on VPN disconnect
- qBittorrent Tips that improve the Bittorrent client
First thing that users of qBittorrent may notice after upgrading clients to version 4.0. is the new iconography of the client. The status icons have changed, and so has the logo of the client.
Windows users may also notice that the application is DPI aware now. There is a new dpiawareness parameter in the config file that is set to enabled by default.
The torrent creation process has improved in the new version. You can start the process now by dragging and dropping files on the main qBittorrent interface. This opens the revamped Torrent Creator automatically which you use to create new torrents. The Torrent Creator interface supports drag and drop as well now, and remembers settings and text fields now.
Users who run qBittorrent using parameters may set these as system environmental variables as well now to do so.
Here is a list of other changes of note in qBittorrent 4.0:
- Option to show/hide columns in the tracker listing by right-clicking on the table header.
- QT 4 support dropped, minimum requirement is Qt 5.5.1 in the new version.
- Option to manage manually banned peers in Options > Connection > Manually banned IP addresses.
- Limit torrent sharing by seed time.
- Option to show/hide the status bar.
- More libtorrent options in advanced settings.
- RSS feed event logging improved.
- Search plugins sorting enabled.
- Various WebUI improvements.
- System icons use for files in the content tab.
You can read the full changelog on the official qBittorrent website.
The update to qBittorrent 4.0 improves the Bittorrent client significantly. While it does not come with a "killer" feature, it improves the client in many areas without taking anything away from it.
Some users reported issues with the new version of the client. I suggest you back up the configuration before you run the installer just to be on the save side.
Now You: Do you use a Bittorrent client? If so which and why?Advertisement