Pale Moon 27.5.0, released on September 26th, 2017, is the latest version of the popular cross-platform web browser.
The new version is a major update according to the release notes. Pale Moon users can run checks for updates in the browser to have the new version picked up and installed directly; anyone else may head over to the official Pale Moon website to download Pale Moon 27.5.0 directly from the website.
You can run checks for updates with clicks on Pale Moon > Help > About Pale Moon in the user interface.
Pale Moon 27.5
Windows users, especially those on Windows 10, may notice that Pale Moon supports accent colors now on the operating system. This makes Pale Moon fall in line with other applications that use accent colors when they are run on Windows 10.
There has also been some under the hood editing of things related to the user interface. Some old or dead code was cleaned up, and "general inconsistencies" were fixed in the Windows theme for all versions of Windows.
Another user interface change is the new restart option in the Pale Moon menu. It will restart the browser but it won't reload the session automatically unless that is the startup preference already in the browser. You may use the shortcut Ctrl-Alt-R as well to restart the browser, or hit Shift-F2 and run the restart command from the command line.
Another welcome change in Pale Moon 27.5.0 is a privacy-related fix. Pale Moon will will clear IndexedDB and asm.js cache data when you clear offline website data in the new version. Firefox was affected by this as well, and Mozilla fixed the issue in Firefox 56, the next stable version of the browser which will be released on September 28, 2017.
Other changes of importance in Pale Moon 27.5.0
- Pale Moon users can control the add-on blocking behavior of the browser in the options in the new version. The default is set to "medium: block all harmful add-ons". You may switch the value to off, low or high instead, and find in in Settings > Security.
- Option to exit to a no-content page when a network or security error is encountered. The behavior is controlled by the preference browser.escape_to_blank which needs to be set to true on about:config. The "get me out of here" button loads a blank page instead of the homepage when enabled.
- Session storage remembers HTTPS form data in Pale Moon 27.5.0.
- Experimental Brotli encoding support, but turned off by default as more work needs to be done on the implementation.
- Color management for images disabled on Linux by default. Reason: images look worse on many distros because many distributions don't have "sane default ICC profiles".
- CPU and power consumption improvements thanks to timer efficiency improvements.
- Also, lots of bug fixes, new DOM features and more.
I suggest you check out the official release notes if you are interested in all of the changes that went into the new version.
Pale Moon 27.5.1
Pale Moon 27.5.1 was released on October 10, 2017. It is a security and stability update for the web browser that makes the following changes to it:
- Default Windows 10 style is black on white if no accent color is applied.
- Fixed visual lag when the window color changes on Windows 10.
- Updated overrides for user agents for Dropbox, YouTube and Yahoo to address user agent sniffing issues.
- Fixed a media subsystem crash.
- Fixed a video playback hardware acceleration regression.
- Mac font security fixes.
- Some libraries were updated.