New Apps for the New Year (NANY) is an annual event held by DonationCoder that results in the creation of -- often -- dozens of new programs for all kinds of purposes.
Each year, developers pledge to participate and release new software that can be downloaded and used for free.
The results of the 2014 NANY challenge have just been posted on the DonationCoder website where you can find out more about them or download them to your system straight away.
We cover the event each year, and would like to present a selection of tools made for it here on our site. Since there are more listed on the DonationCoder website, we encourage you to visit the site to check them all out.
In addition to the 2014 entries, you will also find links to past year entries on that page.
NANY 2014 programs
- epCheck is one of the programs that we have reviewed before. You can read our review here. It enables you to keep track of TV shows, find out when they air, and retrieve other information about them from the Internet.
- Process Piglet has been reviewed as well. It monitors all system processes for high memory usage, notifies you about it, and provides you with options to kill or restart the process among other things.
- Progress Bar of Live v2 enables you to track events or goals using visual progress bars that the app displays on the screen. Reminders can be shown for events.
- Q-FlashCards for Android is a flash card app for the operating system. It ships with a set of interesting features, such as highlighting one Flash card at all times in the phone's notification interface.
- Spews is the third and final program that we have reviewed already. It enables you to change wallpapers based on schedule. A unique feature is that it can watch processes and block wallpapers from being changed if they run. Great for presentations, screencasts and the like.
- Image Capture & Upload Program is a basic app that you can use to take a screenshot and have it uploaded automatically to the image hosting site Imm.io.
- SoloCrop enables you to quickly crop jpeg images by draggin and dropping them into the program interface and drawing a rectangle afterwards. You can process a batch of jpeg images this way, as the program autoloads and saves images automatically for you.
- Wallpaper Welder has been designed for multi-monitor systems. Use it to combine two images of your choosing into a single wallpaper that you can then set as the system wallpaper.
- ESC Close can be used to close program windows with a tap on the Esc key (or double, triple if preferred).
- Text Inspection & Manipulation Utility ships with a set of text-related operations that it can perform. From sorting text to scrambling words or using regular expressions.
- File Groupie moves files from a source folder into multiple destination folders based on your parameters.
- Sumatra Earmarks adds bookmarking support to the popular PDF reader Sumatra.
As you can see, there is a lot to explore, and that is not half of the programs that have been released as part of the NANY 2014 challenge.