How to hide the Tips icons that Brave places on some sites automatically as part of its Rewards system
If you have updated the Brave browser to a recent version, you may have noticed Tips icons being added to some sites. Tips are part of Brave Rewards; they allow users to tip others on the Internet, e.g. a user on Twitter or a site owner, with tokens that can be earned by viewing ads or bought.
You can activate the Shield icon in Brave's address bar to tip any site/page on the Internet. Tips that Brave embeds on sites are displayed on three sites only at the time of writing. The sites in question are Twitter, GitHub and Reddit. On Twitter, the site I noticed the Tips icon first, you see Tips added to any post that is made on the site.
Similarly, on GitHub, you do get them when you browse issues on the site. I could not locate them on Reddit, but the Brave Rewards page suggest that they are displayed on the site as well.
Tips may be displayed even if you have disabled Brave Rewards. The following paragraphs demonstrate how you can turn off the Tips icons that Brave embeds on sites so that no embedding takes place anymore.
How to hide Brave Tips
- Load brave://rewards/ in the address bar to get started. The page is the central management location for all things Brave Rewards.
- You can check if Ads and Monthly Contributions are turned off, but even when you do so, you will still get Tips icons embedded on the Internet.
- Locate the Tips section on the page, and active the Settings icon in its titlebar. It states "Tips Settings" when you hover the mouse cursor over the icon.
- Brave lists the supported sites when you do, and you may uncheck some or all of them.
- Note that you may need to restart Brave before the change takes effect.
When you disable Tips using the interface, Brave won't embed Tips icons anymore on the listed sites.
Making Tips opt-in instead of opt-out is the user-friendly choice; Brave should consider adding an easier opt-out option at the very least to avoid user confusion and irritation.
Now You: What is your take on Brave embedding content on sites?Advertisement