Busy Microsoft released a total of four updates for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update; one cumulative update that addresses several issues, two dynamic updates and a servicing stack update.
KB4051963 is the major update for Windows 10 version 1709. It brings the build of the operating system to 16299.98, and was released on November 30, 2017.
The update is distributed via Windows Update but can be downloaded as a standalone update from Microsoft Update Catalog as well (where it was released a day earlier, on November 29, 2017).
The update addresses the following issues:
- Fixes the Epson SIDM and TM printer issue that failed to print.
- Manually changing the time zone without logging off or restarting shows the old time on the lockscreen clock.
- Issue where RNDIS5 networking devices don't get valid IP addresses, or don't show network connectivity. Microsoft notes that the issue may persist after update installation, and that admins should remove and install the Remote NDIS adapter anew using the Device Manager to correct the issue.
- Changes to Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics were not saved.
- Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 3 won't run on select high-end gaming laptops.
- Performance regression when running fullscreen DirectX 9 games and applications.
- Applications stopped responding on systems with Internet or web proxies enabled through PAC script configurations. Could result in a number of issues, for instance Outlook not being able to connect to Microsoft Office 365, or IE or Edge not able to render any content successfully.
- Lost location-hash when navigating back if "you previously navigated to an invalid URL".
- Form submission issue in Internet Explorer.
- Rendering graphics elements issue in Internet Explorer.
- Issue with the IME text input window for Internet Explorer.
- Script-related issue that would cause Internet Explorer to stop working.
The update does not resolve the following known issue:
- IE11 users who use SQL Server Reporting Services may not be able to scroll through drop-down menus using the scroll bar. Workaround is to press F12, select Emulation, and switch the document mode to 10.
The two compatibility updates KB4055237 and KB4052342 are dynamic updates that improve the compatibility for upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1709. Microsoft does not go into details besides that, and it is unclear if they address any issues that prevent users from upgrading their systems to the newest version of Windows 10.
Update 4054022 is a servicing stack update for Windows 10 Version 1709. It is distributed through Windows Update, but also available as a standalone download on the Microsoft Update Catalog website. Servicing updates cannot be uninstalled once installed, and not installing them prevents Windows from picking up any updates released after the release of the servicing stack update.