Free Windows 8 Pro to Windows Media Center Pack upgrades until January 31, 2013
All versions of the Windows 8 operating system ship with Windows Media Player but not with Windows Media Center. That's relevant because Media Player in Windows 8 can't play DVD movies anymore. While you have a lot of free third party alternatives for that, like VLC Media Player or SMPlayer, you may want to know about the only official solution to add DVD playback to Windows 8. While Media Center is not included in the operating system by default, it is available as an add-on for a price.
As part of the promotions to get Windows 8 going, Microsoft is giving away free Media Center product keys that you can use to add Media Center to your version of windows 8. Here are the important facts about the offer:
- Every customer is eligible for up to five licenses, provided you have access to that many versions of Windows 8.
- To get a product key, simply enter an email address you want the product key to be sent to. Microsoft won't ask for a valid Windows 8 product key on the form or any other identifiable information about you.
- The update turns Windows 8 Pro into Windows 8 Media Center Pack
- The product key will be emailed to you. It currently seems to take a couple of hours tops before you get the key.
- The offer is valid until January 31, 2013 at which point it expires.
To add the Windows Media Center Pack product key to your copy of Windows 8 do the following:
- If you are not on the start screen press the Windows key to go there.
- Enter features on the screen and switch to Settings on the right.
- Select Add features to Windows 8 here and accept the UAC prompt that pops up.
- Select I already have a product key
- The PC will restart after the installation.
Microsoft is basically giving away a free copy of the Windows 8 Media Center Pack to all customers who buy a PC with Windows 8 Pro or purchase Windows 8 Pro separately until January 31, 2013. If that is not a great deal, what is?
Update: It appears that only Windows 8 Pro owners get a free upgrade to Windows Media Center Media Pack. Windows 8 owners need to purchase an upgrade to the Windows 8 Pro Pack which is available for $69.99 during the promotional period. The upgrade includes Windows 8 Pro and Media Center.Advertisement