Firefox 3.6 Update To 7.0
Firefox users who are still running a 3.6 version of the web browser should prepare themselves for receiving an advertised update on Thursday. Users will receive a prompt with the option to update the browser from their version to the very latest. Mozilla is quick to note that this has "no bearing on support levels", which means that Firefox 3.6 will continue to receive updates after the update prompt has been launched.
I know a few guys who are still running a Firefox 3.6 version and they will be glad to hear that the update prompt is opt-in. Users can decline and stay on their Firefox 3.6 version, at least for now (Mozilla says decline and I'm not sure how this goes along with the update being opt-in, but we will see).
Mozilla expects to move regular Firefox users to the new version. Christian Legnitto notes that the update's main intention is to make users aware of the new version of Firefox to give them an option to update their web browser to the new version.
Based on previous advertised update offers we expect to see a significant percentage of users installing the new version. We are, of course, watching the data closely to see what happens and to make sure there are no unexpected issues.
Considering that Mozilla already prompted Firefox 3.6 users to update when Firefox 4 and Firefox 5 were released, I'd say it is questionable if many will take the opportunity this time to move to the newest version of the web browser.
The time of Firefox 3.6 is regardless of that slowly coming to an end. With the new suggested Extended Support Releases of Firefox comes the end of support for the Firefox 3.6 branch. It is not clear yet if Mozilla will make Firefox 8 or Firefox 9 the first ESR release but when that happens it is game over for Firefox 3.6.
Are you still running Firefox 3.6? If so, what is your main motivation to stay with the browser and avoid the new Firefox updates?
Update: Mozilla has postponed the advertised update notification. According to Christian Legnitto the update has been postponed to make sure the "server capacity is sufficient for release". No word yet on the new date for the update.Advertisement