15 cool Firefox Tricks
I found this interesting article on the Lifehack website. The articles lists 15 tweaks and tips for Firefox, some generic and known to many, others not so much. Did you for instance know that you can move a page down by pressing the space bar, that you can move around tabs by pressing CTRL + TAB or that you can use so called smart keywords for searching IMDB in the Address Bar (try typing in IMDB Johnny Depp) ?
I especially like the keyboard, mouse and tab shortcuts which listed several shortcuts that I have not been using actively but will do so from now on. Several tips in the list however are more or less known by everyone who read at least one "How to tweak Firefox" articles.
Update: Here are all 15 tips to give you a better idea whether it is worth visiting the site for an in depth walk through of them.
- More screen space - Click on Firefox > Options > Toolbar Layout, and select Use small icons there.
- Smart keywords - Tells you how to create keyword based searches that you can use to find information faster. You add a site or search to your bookmarks basically and assign a keyword to it that you use to trigger it.
- Keyboard shortcuts - Displays a list of keyboard shortcuts, from spacebar to go a page down to Ctrl-f for the find option on the page, or Ctrl-t for a new tab.
- Auto-complete - Use Control-enter to auto-complete the www. and .com in the address bar, Shift-enter for .net, and Control-Shift-Enter for .org
- Tab navigation - Use Ctrl-tab to rotate between tabs, and Ctrl-[1-9] to jump to one of the first nine tabs in the browser.
- Mouse shortcuts - Use middle-click to open links in new tabs, Shift-scroll down or up to navigate to the previous or next page, or Ctrl-scroll up or down to decrease or increase the text size.
- Delete items from address bar history - Move the mouse over them when they appear in the address bar suggestion box and press Delete to remove them.
- User Chrome - Customizing the browser with userscripts.
- about:config - In depth configuration of the browser.
- Add a keyword for a bookmark - Open sites faster by assigning keywords to them
- Speed up Firefox - Make Firefox load and render pages faster.
- Reduce Ram - Another about:config tweak to reduce the browser's memory utilization
- Move or remove the close tab button.
“I found this interesting article at the ‘Lifehacker’ website”
The link is referring to LifeHack and not LifeHacker.
Thanks a lot, changed it Vijeesh ;)
what kind of crap post is this? you make a post about the top X of anything you better at least POST THE FREAKING THINGS NOT JUST SAY HOW NEAT THEY WERE WHEN YOU READ THEM!