Lightweight Disc Burning Software UsefulUtils Discs Studio
There is definitely no shortage of free disc burning software programs for the Windows operating system. Programs like ImgBurn, Cdrtfe or Infrarecorder are only a few of the applications that have been reviewed at Ghacks in the past.
UsefulUtils Discs Studio is another lightweight disc burning software. The 500-something Kilobyte download will install a utility that can perform most disc burning operations on the computer system. It can burn data, audio and video disc and supports the most popular disc image formats as well including iso, img, bin, mdf and nrg.
The process is a little bit easier than in our favorite burning software ImgBurn. The explorer-like interface can be used to select files and add them to the queue. It is possible to burn the disc right away or configure some of the parameters before doing so.
Here is a list of supported features:
- SCSI, ATAPI, Parallel port, USB (1.1 and 2.0) and FireWire (IEEE 1394) devices support
- OverBurning (in UUDS - HyperBurning) support
- Supported BUP (Buffer Underrun Protection)
- Bootable discs burning
- Multisessional discs burning
- Support of MP3, WMA, ASF, OGG, FLAC (if codecs are installed), WAV formats
- Support of ISO, UDF, IMG, BIN, MDF, XMF, NRG, BWI, B5I, CDI, PDI formats
- Audiotracks ripping with converting to: WMA, MP3, OGG, FLAC. FreeDB support
UsefulUtils Discs Studio is a free and lightweight disc burning software program for most Windows operating systems including Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. The website is showing up in Russian by default. A click on the British flag will change the language to English.
Update: The disc burning software is no longer available, the web page returns a 404 not found error when opened. I suggest you make use of one of the alternatives listed in the first paragraph of this review. If you want a suggestion, I'd suggest you try out ImgBurn first as it is the program that I'm using for all my disc burning needs.Advertisement