How to remove Malwarebytes
The following tutorial teaches you how to uninstall Malwarebytes, formerly known as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, for Windows and Mac OS, from a computer system.
Malwarebytes is a security software that protects the computer against online, network and local threats by identifying, blocking and removing them from the system.
Users and system administrators have different reasons for wanting to remove Malwarebytes from a computer system: a switch to a different security software or issues with Malwarebytes or a specific version of the program are probably the two most common reasons for wanting to uninstall Malwarebytes from a computer system.
Computer users have several options when it comes to removing Malwarebytes:
- Use the built-in uninstall tool of the operating system.
- Use the Malwarebytes Clean Uninstall Tool.
- Use a third-party software.
The Malwarebytes Clean Uninstall Tool
The sole purpose of the Malwarebytes Clean Uninstall Tool is to remove Malwarebytes software from a Windows PC.
The main advantage the tool offers over the built-in Windows tool to remove installed programs is that it removes the application completely. If you use the "uninstall a program" option or the Apps menu on Windows 10 to remove programs, you may end up with leftover files or Registry keys.
The Malwarebytes Clean Uninstall Tool removes all traces of Malwarebytes software with just a couple of clicks:
- Download the program from Malwarebytes' support website.
- Run mb_clean.exe after the download.
- Select yes on the first prompt the program displays after launch. You confirm that you agree to the terms and conditions of the Malwarebytes EULA.
- The program removes files, folders and Registry keys and prompts you to reboot the system after the cleanup operation. You may postpone the reboot or reboot right away.
The application saves the file mb-clean-results.txt to the desktop. It is a log that lists the history of actions taken by the tool.
You may want to go through the log as it highlights issues, for instance if a folder, file or Registry key could not be deleted.
Remove Malwarebytes using the Control Panel on Windows
You may remove Malwarebytes using the Windows Control Panel if you don't want to run the extra tool to uninstall Malwarebytes completely:
- Use Windows-R to open the run box on the system.
- Type appwiz.cpl and hit the Enter-key to open the Programs and Features Control Panel applet.
- Locate Malwarebytes software in the list of installed programs. The list is sorted alphabetically, but you may change the sort order with a click on a column title (e.g. by installation date).
- Right-click on the Malwarebytes entry and select uninstall.
- Proceed as instructed by the uninstaller and restart the computer to complete the process.
Remove Malwarebytes on Mac devices
To remove Malwarebytes for Mac 3.1 or later:
- Open Malwarebytes for Mac on the Macintosh computer.
- Select Help from the menu bar and there Uninstall Malwareybtes.
- Select yes when the prompt "This will completely remove the Malwarebytes software. Are you sure you wish to proceed" is launched.
- Enter your password and click on ok; the removal requires admin rights.
If Malwarebytes 3.0 or earlier is installed:
- Download the Malwarebytes for Mac uninstaller.
- Double-click on the file Remove Malwarebytes.pkg.
- Follow the instructions to uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac.
Now You: Which antivirus solution do you use, and why?