If you like Windows Aero and live in the United States you may like the new lightweight application Aero Weather as well. Aero Weather changes the color scheme of the operating system based on the current weather conditions of your location.
Aero Weather is unfortunately only able to tap into weather information of US zip codes, which limits the reach of the application quite a bit as it means that it can only be used by US users for an accurate reflection of their weather conditions.
Still, those users may find that Aero Weather adds automatic customization to the system's color scheme. Users from outside the US may still use the program to customize the color scheme of Windows Aero.
A configuration window is displayed on first startup. It is necessary to enter a US zip code and validate it. The program displays the current location automatically after verification.
Three additional configuration options are available. It is possible to switch the color type from temperature based to conditions, define the color range and if the night mode should be enabled or not.
Lets take a closer look at how the settings change the color scheme:
Temperature-based color changes
- Minimum and Maximum values let you define your own range of colors
- Maximum temperature (or higher) is always red
- Minimum temperature (or lower) is always purple
- Color is calculated based on minimum and maximum values. For example, given a minimum of zero, and a maximum of 100, if the temperature is 50 degrees, the calculated color would be a shade of green
Condition-based color changes
- UI is grey if it’s cloudy, blue if it’s sunny, white if it’s snowing, dark grey if it’s raining, etc
- Dims the Aero colors when the sun sets (retrieves sunset time from weather server). Colors appear dimmer and less vibrant
- Brightens them when the sun rises the next day
Aero Weather needs to be running in the background all the time. The program has two main purposes. It can be used to get an impression of the current weather conditions or temperature level based on the system's color scheme. Besides that, it changes the color scheme of Aero frequently, which is great for users who do not like to see the same color scheme day in day out.