Windows 8: Troubleshoot Microsoft Accounts Issues
If you have spend some time using Windows 8 you know that there are basically two options to sign in. You can first use a local account just like you can under previous versions of Windows. The second option is to use a Microsoft Account to do so. Doing so enables the option to synchronize data between other PCs running Windows 8 by leveraging cloud storage to do so.
Besides syncing your own computers this way, you also benefit from this when signing in with the account on third party systems running Windows 8 to work with your own personalizations and settings. A Microsoft Account is also the requirement for downloading and installing apps from Windows Store.
Some users of the Windows 8 Release Preview have reported that they are experiencing issues with the operating system's synchronization feature. While there are some prerequisites like running an activated version of Windows, it appears that some users have issues even after they have activated their versions of Windows.
Microsoft appears to be aware of the issue and will fix them before the final version of windows 8 gets related. A Microsoft Accounts troubleshooter has been released for users running the Release Preview of the operating system.
This program basically scans the system for known issues to repair those that are found. I'd recommend clicking on the Advanced button in the interface to disable automatic repairs to see what the program finds and suggests to fix. The following issues are checked by the program:
- Corrupt Microsoft Account settings
- Can't connect to the sync service
- Problems with Microsoft account Policy
- Microsoft Account required
- Connection issues due to proxy or certificate issues
- Check for roaming GPO enabled status
- Problem with system registration
- Signed in with a guest account, or Roaming User Profiles enabled
- You are not connected to the Internet
- Proxy Settings
- You have reached your daily sync quote
- Sync your settings is turned off
- Check system not activated.
If you have selected advanced you are presented with the program's findings. Here you can choose to repair some or all of the issues that it has found during its system scan.Advertisement