Internet Explorer Download
I received an email today from a user who was asking me how to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
I was a bit puzzled by that request but decided to investigate Internet Explorer Download possibilities.
Internet Explorer was the default web browser of the Windows operating system up until Windows 8.1. Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system includes Microsoft Edge as the default browser and Internet Explorer 11 as a backup browser.
When it comes to Internet Explorer, one has to distinguish between the default version of the browser an operating system ships with and available updates.
Update: The latest version of Internet Explorer is Internet Explorer 11 which is available for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10. Microsoft has however limited the available versions of the browser depending on which operating system you are using.
- Windows XP: Internet Explorer 8 can be downloaded for 32-bit or 64-bit versions of the operating system from this website. Note that it can also be downloaded for Windows Vista, and that it is the default browser of Windows 7. Windows XP does not support newer versions of Internet Explorer. Update: Microsoft pulled the download.
- Windows Vista: Internet Explorer 9 can be downloaded for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the operating system from this Microsoft website. It can also be downloaded for Windows 7. Newer versions of Internet Explorer are not available for Vista.
- Windows 7: Internet Explorer 11 can be downloaded for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the operating system from this website. Windows 7 users can install IE9, IE10 or IE11 on their system. It is recommended to install the latest version.
- Windows 8: The operating system ships with Internet Explorer 10, and will be upgraded to version 11 when the system is updated to Windows 8.1. There are no direct download links available as the update is integrated into the Windows 8.1 upgrade.
- Windows 10: Windows 10 uses Microsoft Edge as the default browser but includes Internet Explorer 11 as well. There is no option to download IE11 for Windows 10 or to downgrade the web browser.
Archived information (outdated)
Internet Explorer 7 is the latest release version of Internet Explorer. It ships with Windows Vista which means that Vista users already have the latest version of the Microsoft browser at their disposal.
Windows XP users on the other hand have access to Internet Explorer 6 by default and can upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 by downloading it from the official Microsoft Internet Explorer website. Internet Explorer 7 is available in many language versions as well, a huge page with 30 or so languages is provided on that website as well.
Microsoft is currently working on Internet Explorer 8; A beta version of that browser is available for download as well. The easiest way to download that Internet Explorer version would be to head for the Internet Explorer 8 site at Microsoft and download it from there.
Older versions of Internet Explorer are not available for download officially but a tool called IE Tester is available that gives access to previous versions of Internet Explorer.
I was happy that when I upgraded to SP3 that MS didn’t force an IE7 “upgrade” down my throat.
I have more than enough counter-measure in place to make up for any IE6 flaws, methinks. It’s fast and not like Firefox (tabs, etc), so I keep it. Rarely use it at all though.
FF3 is my main browser though, mind you. Even if I miss FF2. :/ Anyhow.
You can also download it from FileHippo. They even link to the previous versions, in case you aren’t wanting to use the Beta yet. Here is a link:
Older versions are listed on the right side under the download link.
Why not using Avant browser which based on IE?It’s fast and easy to use,of course I choose it instead of IE due to its stability and compatibility.