How to change your account password in Windows 8
If you are logging in to Windows 8 with a Microsoft Account to benefit from a couple of features such as data synchronization between accounts and options to recover passwords online, you may eventually run into a issue that I experienced recently.
I received a warning in Outlook that my account was limited and the only way I was able to resolve it was to change the account password and verify the account by phone. So far so good. The issue now was that I had saved the old password on the system so that it would log me in automatically on start of it.
Each time I booted into Windows 8 after changing the password resulted in a "the user name or password is incorrect. Try again." message. Entering the correct password allowed me to log in manually but Windows would not save the new password automatically. I had to change it in the system's records to enable the automatic login again. Here is how that is done.
Changing the account password in Windows 8
To change the saved account password in Windows 8 do the following:
- Press the Windows key to display the start screen interface if you are not already there
- Enter Control Panel and select the result with a click or tap on it
- Click on the User Accounts and Family Safety category and there on user accounts.
- Select Make changes to my account in PC settings. This loads the full screen control panel of Windows 8.
- Locate the change your password option and click on it
- Enter the current password and twice the new password
We are not done yet as it is necessary to configure the auto sign in again. I have detailed how that is done here. Here is a quick summary of what you need to do:
- Press the Windows key.
- Enter netplwiz and hit enter.
- Select the user account you want to configure auto log in for and uncheck the "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box.
Thanks for the info, I find Windows 8 to be very confusing in some aspects. I won’t say how long it took me how to shut it down…
This doesn’t really shut down, as we know for a real shut down you have to disable Fast Startup.
All I want to do is Remove password in windows 8 every time you get on computer off & on all day you have to enter password please can you just tell me how to remove it or just enter it when you first get on that morning & not have to enter it any more that day hope you can help have done the nerplwiz did not work