Address Book Software Open Contacts
Open Contacts is a free Open Source address book software that comes with an extensive set of options and a rather outdated user interface. Several import options are available for new users who downloaded the address book software for the first time. Contact data can be imported from various popular software programs such as Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook, Windows Vista but also file formats such as vcards, ldif or xml.
The address book software will automatically recognize possible duplicate contact information and display a dialog to the user that proposes a few ways how to deal with the data including options to skip or edit.
Important features offered by Open Contacts include:
- Unlimited data fields to store any contact info. Along with predefined fields, you may add unlimited data fields grouped by section.
- Manage relationships between individuals, organizations and departments.
- Comprehensive Categories. You may click on a category to view contacts of the category, or right click to list contacts of subcategories recursively.
- Search through any data field, and search birthday of people.
- Interact with Windows applications of telephony, Skype, emailing or Web/File browsing etc.
- Map service with Google Maps. You may use either single line address or multi-line address. Yahoo Maps and Microsoft Live Maps are also supported through custom action plug-in programs.
- Print contact info and labels on papers of different sizes.
- Import from MS Outlook, Outlook Express (WAB), Eudora, Netscape/Mozilla Thunderbird, XML (xCard), CSV, LDIF, Vista and vCard.
- Export to indented text, CSV, Excel, vCard, XML (xCard), HTML, hCard and XFN (XHTML Friends Network).
- Portable. You may bring your address book database and the program in an external device such as a USB flash disk, and run the program on any Windows PC.
- LAN supports for multiple users in Local Area Network, using true Client/Server architecture.
Quite a few can be very interesting for users in specific work situations. The only real downside to this excellent address book software program is the rather outdated user interface that feels slow in certain situations. Open Contacts is available as a free download from the developer's homepage.Advertisement