Remove Duplicate Mails in Microsoft Outlook
I'm not a big fan of Microsoft Outlook but I have to use it at work because of corporate policy. Next to Microsoft's Internet Explorer 6, Microsoft Outlook 2003 is having a top spot on my "software that I do not want to use but have to" list. Some guys at work like the Outlook software and use it at home as well while I'm happy to use Thunderbird at home feeling more at ease with this excellent email client.
Nevertheless I have to cope with certain situations and one is that Microsoft Outlook creates duplicate emails from time to time due to various "hick ups". If you take a look at Microsoft's knowledge base you soon find out that it lists several situations where Outlook may download the same email message more than once. I listed some of them for your convenience in the next paragraph.
- You are prompted for your password, and you may receive duplicate e-mail messages if your profile has two POP3 accounts in Outlook (link)
- Duplicate e-mail messages are downloaded from a POP3 e-mail server account in Outlook 2003 (link)
- Duplicate junk e-mail messages appear in the Junk E-mail folder in Outlook 2003 (link)
This are just some of the knowledge base articles that you can find searching for duplicate mails in Outlook 2003.
The same applies to other versions of Microsoft Outlook including 2002 or newer versions such as Outlook 2007 or 2010. Now to clear the duplicate emails you can use the free software Microsoft Outlook Duplicate Items Remover. It scans a selected folder for duplicate emails and moves them to a separate folder where you can delete them easily.
This is by far the easiest way to cope with this situation. The software does not only remove duplicate emails in Microsoft Outlook but also duplicate notes, contacts, calendar entries and tasks making it pretty universal for all things duplicate in the messaging software.
To use the program simply select a folder displayed by the program after you have installed it on your system and hit the remove duplicate items button afterwards.
The dupes are not deleted right away but moved into a subfolder instead so that you can go through the listing to make sure that there are no false positives before you hit the delete button.
Note: The program is not compatible with Office 64-bit versions. It is however fully compatible with 32-bit versions of Office running on 64-bit versions of Windows. It also needs to be noted that the program is not compatible with Office 2013 yet.
How the program determines if an item, a message, note or task for example, are duplicates? It verifies that all of the following information match each other:
- For contacts: first and last name, company name and email address.
- Appointments: subject, start and due date, status.
- Tasks: subject, start and due date, and status.
- Notes: contents and color.
- E-Mail or Post: for received messages the Internet message ID; for sent emails the email subject and the time the email has been sent; draft emails subject only.