IE7 pro Add-on for Internet Explorer
I'm not using Internet Explorer 7 at all but I know some guys who like it so much that they may ditch Firefox for it. The new Internet Explorer 7 has basically the same functionality and extensibility as Firefox even though its add-on store is in its infancy compared to that of the Firefox browser.
You can download add-ons for Internet Explorer 7 to add functionality to the browser just like you can for Firefox. The Windows Marketplace lists more than 550 add-ons for Internet Explorer 7. The major difference that I can see is that Microsoft offers free and commercial add-ons for Internet Explorer 7 while I do not know of a single Firefox add-on that is commercial. (correct me if I'm wrong)
IE7 pro is one of those add-ons that everyone can download for free from the company website linked in this sentence or the Windows Marketplace. It adds six new features to Internet Explorer 7, those are: Ad Filter, Super Drag and Drop, Mouse Gestures, Save Page to Image, Quick Switch Proxy and Enhanced Tabbed Browsing Capabilities.
Here is a short overview of what each feature does:
- Enhanced tabbed browsing capabilities: adds several new tab management feature including opening new tabs from the address bar, double-clicking on tabs to close them, crash recovery or the option to hide the search bar.
- Super drag and drop: open links by dragging and dropping them right on the page. You can also drag words or phrases to search for them, and save pictures when you hold down Shift when you drag them on the page.
- Mouse gestures: enables mouse gesture support in the browser to use the mouse for basic operations such as going back or forward, printing, or opening a page.
- Crash recovery: restores open pages after crashes.
- Save page to image: downloads the page as an image to the local system.
- Ad Blocker: blocks advertisement on the Internet.
- Quick Proxy Switcher: Switch between proxies faster.
- Script support: Support for userscripts.
- Inline Search: Tab F3 to search.
- Spell Check: A spell check add-on for Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer 7 users should take a look at IE7 pro and test it for a while. It is a free add-on and can be uninstalled without problems if you feel that you do not need the functionality.
Update: The extension has not been updated since 2010. While it is compatible with some newer versions of Internet Explorer including Internet Explorer 8, it does not appear to be compatible with Internet Explorer 10.
Some features that it made available are included in the browser. This includes the spell checker, inline search and other options.