How to migrate a Firefox profile to Pale Moon
The idea behind the web browser Pale Moon was to create an optimized web browser based on Firefox's source code for the Windows operating system. While it has been initially designed for that, it has also become a go-to product for Firefox users who do not really like where Mozilla is heading in regards to interface and customization changes.Â Numerous changes, all related to the Australis design of the Firefox web browser, have caused some users of the browser to switch to Pale Moon as it is using a classic browser design that is not likely going to change in the near future.
Pale Moon became a popular choice in 2017 when Mozilla switched off Firefox's classic extensions system as the browser makers pledged that Pale Moon would continue supporting it.
Update: Mozilla changed a lot in Firefox with the release of Firefox 57 and newer. The changes are largely incompatible with the Pale Moon browser which is based on pre-Firefox 57 code. The tool is no longer available anymore as a consequence as it cannot be used anymore to bring Firefox settings and preferences to Pale Moon.
Users may still export some settings, e.g. bookmarks, to bring them to Pale Moon by using built-in Firefox functionality. End
What makes Pale Moon an interesting choice for those users is that it is based on Firefox which means that it offers prettyÂ much the same features as the original. Classic extensions are working in the browser (for the most part), as are other changes and modifications that work in Firefox.
New users who would like to give Pale Moon a try may want to import or migrate their Firefox profile to the browser so that they can keep on using their installed extensions, modifications and layout that they have been using in Firefox.
The easiest way to migrate your Firefox profile to Pale Moon is to use the Pale Moon profile migration tool that you can download here on this page.
How to use it
- Download the program from the website linked above.
- Make sure you have closed all instances of Firefox and Pale Moon.
- Run the program and check the Firefox location path to make sure it is correct. Note that you cannot change it using the migration tool. If the profile path is not correct, try copying the profiles manually to the Pale Moon folder instead.
- Select Copy profile and wait for the copying to finish. If you have started Pale Moon at least once before you will receive a message that a profile exists already.
- You need to overwrite the profile in this case to complete the migration.
Next time you start Pale Moon you will have access to your bookmarks, session, cookies, extensions, themes, and all the other information of the Firefox profile.Advertisement