Good Old Games Fall Sale until November 25
I like what Good Old Games has to offer. It started out as a service to bring classic video games to modern systems and has evolved since then to include some modern titles as well. Different from Steam and also from modern gaming platforms such as Origin it has craved out a niche and sits in it comfortably.
It evolved over time without sacrificing the community or principles that made the service great.
What I really like about Good Old Games is not only that they make classic games available so that you can play the games on modern hardware, but also that their games are DRM free and that you are not forced to use a client that holds all of it together.
The GOG Big Fall Sale started today. It is a big event that will end on November 25. More than 700 games will be discounted in that time according to the site operators.
Here is what it offers:
- Some games are available for free for a limited period of time. The first free game is Mount & Blade which you can add to your account for free in the next 48 hour period.
- Flash sales discount games for several hours after which they are replaced with other games put on sale for a limited time.
- Other games are discounted for longer periods of time. You find Daily Deals for example that are on sale for 24 hours.
- Collect stamps on the frontpage. You get a stamp each day and once you have collected seven -- clicking on a button on the frontpage -- you get the game The Witcher 2 free of charge and the excellent movie The Gamers: Director's Cut on top of that.
You do need an account to purchase games as they are only made available in digital form. Individual games get downloaded to the local system where they can be installed and run without third-party software.
This is a great opportunity to replay games that you have played in your childhood or to play classic games that you have never played before in your life.
Here is a short list of interesting games available on gog (not all on sale right now):
- Master of Magic - Probably the best fantasy-based strategy game of all time.
- Classic Sierra and Lucas Arts adventure games such as Gabriel Knight, Indiana Jones, Phantasmagoria.
- Classic Dungeons and Dragons games including Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.
- Classic Cinemaware games such as Wings or Rocket Ranger.
- Strategy and role playing games such as Fallout I and II, The Settlers, Master of Orion, Dungeon Keeper or Heroes of Might and Magic.
- Epic games such as Wing Commander, Syndicate, Ultima or System Shock 2
The site itself is slow loading at the time probably caused by the traffic it is getting currently.
Now You: Have you used gog before? Are you waiting for specific games to go on sale?Advertisement