How to delete websites on Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a service by Google for webmasters who want to track the traffic, conversions and other metrics in regards to sites that they add to the service.
The service highlights where visitors come from, what they do on the site, and how they leave it again among other things.
Recently, Google has started to interlink some of its services together. If you are using Google Analytics, you can link the account to your Google Webmaster account to get additional information about the placement in Google's search engine. You can also link it to Adsense to reveal information about clicks and earnings right in Google Analytics.
You can add as many websites to Google Analytics as you like, and either group them together, or create individual groups for each of them.
Tip: If you ever plan to sell a property, create a group for each website that you add to the service, as it is the only way to transfer it to a new owner. If you have grouped multipled domains in a single group, you cannot just transfer one of the domains to a new owner.
Earlier this year, I sold one of the sites that I bought as an investment. I sold it for a healthy profit if you take into account that it also earned money during the two or so years that it was under my wings.
Some days ago I decided to remove it from Google Analytics, as there was no reason to keep it up any longer there. Since it was lumped together with other sites, I could not transfer the data to the new owner. We agreed that I would keep the data up for the time being so that it could be accessed by the company that bought the site.
Delete websites on Google Analytics
It took me a while to find out how to delete websites or projects on Google Analytics. What you need to do is the following:
- Open the main Google Analytics website and sign in to your account.
- You see a listing of all groups and websites that you have added to the service.
- Click on Admin in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select the account that you want to manage.
- Google displays all properties -- aka domains -- that you have added to the account here.
- Select the domain that you want to remove from Google Analytics.
- It is now displayed under Property and View.
- Click on View Settings under View.
- Scroll all the way down until you find "Delete View" in the right bottom corner of the screen.
- Click on it to terminate the account.
- A warning is displayed: "You are about to delete the view xxx. Once deleted, view data is not recoverable. Are you sure you want to delete this view?"
- Click on Delete view to continue.
The warning indicates that all data that was accumulated over the time the analytics script was running on the property will be deleted when you delete the view.Advertisement