Change video formats to mp4 or mkv quickly
Computer programs such as VLC media player or SMPlayer play nearly every video or audio format that you throw at them, so that you do not really have to convert videos anymore before you can watch them on your system.
You may however need to convert them if you want to transfer the files to another device that does not support all video formats in existence. This can be a DVD player, your Xbox or Playstation, smartphone, or the tablet that you just bought.
Once you realize that you need to convert the videos that you have downloaded or created before you can play them on a device, you have to find a suitable application that helps you with that.
If you need to convert the video into mp4 or mkv format, you may use the free Video Container Switcher application for that.
You also need a version of FFmpeg on your system as you are asked to select it when you start the portable program for the first time.
- The video folder containing all videos that you want to convert. Note that only root folder files will be converted. The program can convert avi, flv, mpg, mov, mkv and mp4 videos.
- The input format of the videos that you want to convert. If a folder contains different types, run the program multiple times.
- You can alternatively drag and drop videos into the program interface.
- The output format which can be mp4 or mkv.
A click on ok starts the conversion of all files at the same time. It is really fast and should not take long to complete as nothing needs to be re-encoded by the application.
The converted videos are automatically placed in the same folder as the source video files. Note that the source files remain untouched by the operation, and that the program appends the new extension to the end of the full file name including its extension.
- You can modify the ffmpeg path in the ini file that you find in the program folder. Just enter a new one so that it is used from that moment on.
- Drag and drop did not work when I tried it. It is not a big issue but still something that needs to be fixed. Drag and drop is however the only option to convert different source video types at once.
The program is fast and that is probably the main reason why you'd want to use it to convert supported video formats into mp4 or mkv on your system. If you need more control over the process, or want to modify videos in any way, try a program like Kiara portable video encoder instead which does so.Advertisement