How to play mp3 files directly on Google Drive
Google Music is Google's go to service for all things music. While that is the case, I'm not entirely sure if users from all over the world have access to it. While I do have access, I cannot use all features that Google makes available in this regard.The All Access music streaming service is for instance not available in my country yet.
You can upload music files to Google Music to play them online, but that is not the only option that you have. You can also host music on Google Drive and while it was previously possible to play those songs in the browser directly, a recent change seems to prevent this from happening now.
Music files seem to open up with the default Google Drive Viewer app which does not play them. While you are taken to a preview page, it simply states "no preview available", and that you can download the file or use one of the apps that you have installed to open it.
It is however easy to get Google Drive to play mp3 files directly on the site without downloading them first to your computer. Follow these easy steps to enable this for your account:
Play mp3 on Google Drive
- It is easy if you already have at least one mp3 file on Google Drive. Browse to a mp3 file and right-click it
- Select Open With > Connect More Apps from the context menu that opens up.
- Find Music Player for Google Drive in the list. You can enter music to find it faster.
- Click connect and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Double-click on the mp3 again once you are back on Google Drive.
- You will receive a prompt asking you to allow access to Music Player for Google Drive.
- Click on Allow access and the music should start to play in an on-screen player right away.
If you have no mp3 file on Google Drive right now do the following instead:
- Click on Settings in the upper right corner and select Manage apps from the menu.
- Click on Connect more apps and follow the instructions above from 3. on.
You can play one or multiple audio files to the playlist to play them all one after the other.
Keep in mind: All music that you upload to Google Drive counts against your storage limit whereas you can upload 20,000 songs to Google Play Music without affecting it.Advertisement