uTorrent Gets Extensions Framework
This in theory should make it easy for third party developers to create apps for uTorrent that users can integrate into their Bittorrent client.
Apps have access to all the functionality of the client according to the developers. The apps come with the new file extension .btapp. Examples given in the project announcement are:
- Offer a simple and more integrated way for consumers to find and download different types of content
- Integrate with external programs which can provide services like BitTorrent-specific anti-virus
- Offer UI for a broad range of applications that simplify the experience or extend functionality
A total of four apps are already available for the preview version of uTorrent 2.2. Apps are accessible from within the bittorrent client by clicking on the Apps section in the left sidebar.
The four available apps are:
- Virus Guard by Bitdefender: A free virus scanner that works from within Bittorrent.
- Raptr Free Games: Play free games
- uGadet: Torrenting features from within Internet Explorer or firefox browser like monitoring and controlling downloads.
- VODO: brings movies to uTorrent
This new apps framework raises a few questions including performance and relevancy related questions. Windows users who want to give uTorrent 2.2 Beta a try can download the new client from uTorrent Labs.Advertisement