Internet Maniac Networking Software
Rarst reviewed an interesting networking software today on his excellent blog (you should check it out if you are interested in tech). Internet Maniac is a old school networking software that has not been updated in ten years.
Old software does not necessarily have to be bad or outdated especially if it deals with elements that have not changed in the last ten years as well.
Internet Maniac makes available a set of networking tools in its interface. The portable software provides access to functions like traceroutes, pings, host lookups, whois information, lookup IPs or domain names and more. Every option is directly accessible from the main interface.
While you can run some of the programs on the Windows command line as well, it is comfortable to use an interface instead, especially if you need to run multiple tools one after the other.
The available tools and information are:
- Displays the local IP address and hostname, as well as the assigned hostname.
- Host Lookup - Enter hostname or IP address to look up its official name, host address(es) and aliases.
- Time - Query an Internet time service to get the exact local time.
- Listener - Listen to a port and display connections.
- Ping - Send a ping to an IP address or hostname.
- Finger - Use finger on a user or host.
- Scanner - A port scanner that can scan a target host or domain in a custom port range.
- Traceroute - Displays the output of the traceroute command.
- Whois - Look up Whois information about a domain.
- Winsock - Displays Winsock information such as version, max UDP size or maximum sockets.
- Connect - Try to connect to a hostname and send data. Monitor reply (received data).
- Pop3 - To connect to a pop3 server using username and password.
A click on a tool will display a second window that can be used to enter data, say a domain name for Whois. The same window will also display the results of the function directly in its window.
The tool is completely portable and requires less than 5 Megabytes of computer memory. The homepage of the developer has been deleted a long time ago. You can download the latest available version of Internet Maniac right here at Ghacks:Â internet_maniac.zipAdvertisement