Move all files from subdirectories into main directory
When I extract multiple archives at once I use a setting that creates a directory of the same name in the main folder. This isn't such a big problem normally if I decided to keep the extracted files in the new folder but it sometimes becomes a problem when I need all the files in one directory. Lets take the following example. I have downloaded twenty videoclips as archives and extracted them into twenty subdirectories of the download folder on my hard drive.
I used to move each file manually from the subdirectory into the main directory until I could not take it anymore and decided to search for a solution that would automatically move all files in all subdirectories of a selected folder into that folder. I did find Dir Utils, a software that can do that and much more.
Dir Utils adds six entries to the right-click menu, among them is the option called Unify which moves all files from all subdirectories (and their subdirectories..) into the main folder.
Here are the five other options that are available:
- Extensionize: Categorises files in a folder by their extensions. It is possible to move all video files into one subfolder, all audio files and so on. That's the only option that comes with its own .ini file that can be configured to add file types to groups.
- Alphabetize: Moves files in a directory automatically into subdirectories beginning with the first char of their name. Chars beginning with a-z will be moved to the subdirectories a-z accordingly, all numbers will be moved to the subdirectory 0, all file s beginning with any other char will be moved to the ! subdirectory. Great for directories with many files in them.
- Arrange: Automatically creates subdirectories for multi-volume archives. I'm using Extract Now for that purpose.
- Unzip: Will find all zip files and unzip them into a directory with the same name. I'm using Extract Now for that purpose.
- New Dir: Reduces the number of clicks needed to create a new subdirectory from 3 to 2.
Update: The developer website is no longer available. You can download the latest release version from our servers by clicking on the following link: (Download Removed)Advertisement