If you had to choose five Firefox Add-ons
Lets say your computer has limited resources and you can only use five Firefox add-ons when browsing the Internet.
Tell me, which would you choose and why. I'm currently cutting down on Firefox extensions that I'm actively using because I felt that Firefox was using too much memory when I started it without opening a website at all.
This was largely due to the massive number of extensions and themes that I had installed. After discovering that I could reduce the memory usage of Firefox by more than 15 Megabytes by simply reducing the number of add-ons and themes I was using, I decided to do just that.
I removed all themes but the default one and got rid of a handful of add-ons that I was using either because it was convenient to use them or because they would add a feature that I was using from time to time. Add-ons that fell into this category where the Adsense Notifier add-on, the Google Toolbar, the StumbleUpon Toolbar, Gmail Notifier, Tab Mix Plus and others.
Several of the features that I was using were also available in one extension. As an example, the Search Status extension displays the Pagerank and the Alexa rank of the active website and I was able to remove the Google Toolbar and the Alexa Toolbar because of this.
I added Gmail to Thunderbird which made the Gmail Notifier obsolete because I run Thunderbird all day long. Five add-ons remained after this that I can't live without, they are:
- Adblock Plus - that's my number one Firefox extension, can't live without it.
- Firebug - if you are a web developer you need this extension. It displays an unbelievable amount of information, great when working with CSS for instance.
- Greasemonkey - a wonderful add-on that adds so much functionality.
- Search Status - displays the Pagerank and Alexa rank among other things. Offers great information if you do SEO.
- Tiny Menu - can't live without the Tiny Menu anymore. All my menus, address bar and everything else is in one row on top. Saves lots of space.
Which Firefox add-ons can't you live without?Advertisement