Notepad++ 8.2: improved features and a memory leak fix
Notepad++ 8.2 has been released. The new version of the open source text editor is already available on the developer's website and source repositories.
The text editor is available for all supported operating systems. On Windows, it is available as a portable version and a setup version.
Installed copies of Notepad will receive update notifications in the coming weeks; users who want to update early need to do so manually.
The official release announcement has been posted to the official website.
The developer has added two features that users requested for some time. The first enables users to exclude folders from the program's find in files feature. Find in files searches for the text string that you enter in files, an in-content search feature that can be really helpful, e.g., to replace strings with others in all files that have that string. The exclude option can speed things up considerable for users, as it skips excluded folders, which speeds up the processing and may also reduce the number of returned items.
Select Search > Find in Files to use the functionality in Notepad++.
Use the filters field to exclude folders: *.* !/source !/bin searches all folders with the exception of the source and bin folders.
The second feature introduces auto saving for the loaded session on exit; this works while the "open session in a new instance" is set. Select Settings > Preferences >Multi-Instance Settings & Date to check the state of the setting. The default needs to be switched for the feature to work.
Notepad++ 8.2 includes a number of fixes besides that. One addresses a memory leak issue when toggling lite and dark modes of the application.
Here is the list of features and bug fixes of the new version:
1. Add exclude folder(s) capacity in Find in Files (mouse hover on "Filters" label for getting the example on tool-tip).
2. Fix UTF-8 detected wrongly as TIS-620 encoding issue.
3. Add auto save loaded session on exit feature (while "Open session in a new instance" is set in Multi-instance settings).
4. A comprehensive fix for dockable panels losing background color when switching back Notepad++.
5. Fix memory leak while toggling between Dark/Lite Mode.
6. Fix caret left-right inverse moving in RTL mode issue.
7. Fix Document List icons unchanged issue after switching to dark mode or changing to alternative icons.
9. Update boost regexp from v1.76 to v1.78
10. "Rename tab" name field enlargement (from 20 to 63 char!).
11. Apply "crontab" file to the syntax highlighting of bash.
Now You: which text editor do you use? (via Deskmodder)Advertisement