Fabulous RSS Reader QuiteRSS 0.14 released
If you are a Ghacks regular you know that I prefer desktop programs over their mobile counterparts or web services any time of the day.
When it comes to RSS, I have been using the desktop RSS reader QuiteRSS for some time now and could not be happier with it. While it does not offer anything fancy, like feed synchronization or mobile apps to complement it, it is exactly what I want an RSS reader to be.
It is fast, lightweight, puts the feed titles in center and front. In short, ideal for the consumption of a lot of feeds throughout the day.
QuiteRSS 0.14 has just been released, bringing along several new features and improvements that warrant a news post here on the site.
Note: You should not be discouraged by the version of the application. While 0.14 may seem low in times where companies like to inflate versions, it is one of the stablest programs I have encountered in recent time.
You can check for updates from within the program if you like. Just click on Help > Check for Updates to do so. You should see the following notification.
If you click install, the update will be downloaded automatically and QuiteRSS updated. If you prefer the website, visit QuiteRSS.org and download the update manually from there.
Here is a selection of the important changes in this version of the RSS reader. You get a full list of changes on the website of the program, or when you check for the update in the application itself.
- The performance of the program has been improved. While I can't notice any big performance gains on my system, you may see some on yours depending on the speed of the hard drive the application has been installed on.
- The program's feed filter is now case-sensitive. This is great to distinguish Windows from windows for example.
- You can now display broken feeds by selecting Feeds > Filter Feeds > Show not working feeds.
- A default zoom level for pages can now be set under Options > Browser.
- User filters support conditions for categories now.
- Support for uTorrent authorization feeds added.
- Additional color settings and shortcuts have been added.
- Several application crash fixes.
The update introduces several interesting features to a great program. If you are using filters, you get several new options to play with. The default zoom level on the other hand can be interesting for users who prefer the news articles to be displayed in larger font sizes all the time.
Tip: You can download a portable version of the feed reader from the developer website, and the source code as well if you like. The program is also available for OS/2 and several Linux distributions.Advertisement