Load programs right from within Firefox
If you are using Firefox throughout the day you may encounter situations during that time in which you may need to launch another program on your system. While you can do so using the taskbar or a comparable solution, it sometimes may not be the most suitable solution. First of all, to launch programs from the taskbar you need to have them pinned to it.
You may not want to pin a program like notepad or the Windows Control Panel to the taskbar, and that is one of the situations where the Firefox extension Easy Access may help you with. It can also be useful if you run Firefox in fullscreen mode all the time or hide the taskbar automatically after a certain time of inactivity.
It adds the option to Firefox to load any program from the underlying operating system with a single click of the mouse button.
Once you have installed the extension in the browser you will notice that it adds its icon automatically to Firefox's add-ons bar. If you do not see the add-ons bar use the shortcut Ctrl-/ to display it.
A left-click on the icon displays the available shortcuts and a link to the settings of the extension. You can launch any program listed here with a left-click and while the default programs, Notepad, Paint, Calculator, My Computer and Switch Profile, may be useful to some, it is likely that you may want to add custom programs to the list instead.
Click on the manage your own EasyAccess link here to get started with that. The first tab that opens up provides you with the means to add the five default links directly to the add-on bar of the browser so that you can run them with a single click.
Switch to customize your quicklaunch to configure your own programs.
- Click on browse or paste the full path to the file directly into the first field of the form.
- The name is filled out automatically, but you can modify it if you want.
- If you want to launch the program with arguments add them here.
- Check the add to addonbar box if you want it displayed directly in the add-on bar of the browser. Otherwise, it is only available when you left-click on the main menu button of the extension.
Note that programs are always displayed with their program icon and that their name is only displayed on hover.
The extension can be quite useful to some Firefox users at least.
- Note that you can move the icons to another toolbar if you prefer that. You can only move all icons together unfortunately.
- You do not need to add executable files, all file types are accepted and can be launched directly from the browser.