How To Update Last Year's Security Software To This Year's
Many security software companies, like Kaspersky, Symantec or Bitdefender, release new products ever year.
The updated programs often come with additional security features, improved threat detection, engine updates, resource usage improvements and other features that make them more powerful when compared to the previous version.
If you have used a certain version of a security product for some time, you may continue to use it even after a more recent version of the product has been released.
Some companies provide automatic updates from last year's version to the current year's version while others won't update products automatically or only after a while.
Some customers believe that they would have to purchase a new license to use the new version of a security software, say continue using the 2017 version of Kaspersky or Bitdefender even though the 2018 updates have been released by the companies.
What many users don't know is that it is quite possible to update from last year's security software to the current year's release without additional costs. The only requirement is a valid license of the security software.
Lets exemplify the process: To update Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 to Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 a user would do the following.
- Download the latest product version of the security software from the Kaspersky website which is the latest version of the software.
- Install the product after the download. You can uninstall the old product but need to make sure that you have the product key as you may need to enter it again to activate the new version.
- Reboot the PC to complete the installation.
Kaspersky automatically detects that last year's version was installed, and will take over the license. Licenses usually run for 365 days which means that customers can use the new version of the software for the remaining period without additional costs.
The same updating option is provided by software from other security software companies. It is for instance possible to update Norton Antivirus, Bitdefender, Avira, and other products to the newest version provided that you license is still valid and not expired.
Below are download links of the latest versions of popular security suites and programs:
- Bitdefender: Antivirus Pro, Internet Security, TOTAL Security
- Kaspersky: Kaspersky PURE, Kaspersky Internet Security, Kaspersky Anti-Virus
- Symantec: # Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, Norton AntiVirus
- Eset: ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus
- Avast: avast! Pro Antivirus, avast! Internet Security
- AVG: AVG Internet Security, AVG Anti-Virus
- Avira: Avira AntiVir Premium, Avira Premium Security Suite, Avira AntiVir Professional
- Panda: Panda Global Protection, Panda Internet Security, Panda Antivirus Pro
Please note that we have not tested updating all software programs listed above. It is however very likely that updates to newer versions are supported by all of them considering that this increases the likelihood of the customer staying with the company for another year once the license runs out. If you are not sure, contact your company to get an official response before updating the software.Advertisement