Firefox Custom Builds
Custom builds of the Firefox web browser are created by third-parties. They usually optimize Firefox (compiler and code), and sometimes add new features to the web browser, or even remove features from it.
Not many Firefox users know of the existence of custom builds; probably even less know that there is a third party builds forum at the Mozillazine website that only dealing with custom build announcements.
There are however two areas of concern about custom builds of the Firefox web browser: The first is a security concern as third party builds might contain hidden malicious code that would run in the web browser itself.
The second is program updates which usually are created later than the official Mozilla builds meaning that security patches and other improvements come to these third-party Firefox builds at a later point in time.
The following list contains only custom builds of the Firefox web browser that match the current official version of Firefox. Many custom builds have been discontinued along the road and are only offered as lower (and thus insecure) versions.
Firefox Custom Builds List
- Autofox (Linux) - 64-bit only optimized Firefox build [gone]
- Blazing Fast - What if Firefox was custom built to your particular CPU and even operating system? Wouldnâ€™t it perform faster? The answer to that is a definite yes. The following builds of Firefox are optimized for particular CPUs to run specifically for Windows. They are also optimized according to the real world uses so that it performs the best on your desktop. [gone]
- Cyberfox - A Firefox build compiled with Visual Studio 2010 for Windows. It is available as a 64-bit version and as a portable version, and follows Firefox's stable release schedule.
- Firefox Ayakawa build (link 2) - Another set of optimized builds of the Firefox web browser.
- Firefox Musume Nightly Builds - Firefox musume CE is a customized and optimized version of Mozilla Firefox.
- Firefox Ultimate - an optimized version of Firefox optimized for processors with 4 or more cores. (last update in 2016)
- Lawlietfox - Custom build offering both stable and ESR versions. According to the author optimized for high performance. Lacks behind one version currently.
- Lightfirefox - Firefox custom builds with removed components. (last update in 2016)
- Palemoon - A 32-bit and 64-bit build of Firefox for Windows that does not follow Mozilla's rapid release schedule which is why the version is different from Firefox's most recent stable version. The author will not implement the Australis interface that Mozilla plans to ship in Firefox 29.
- pcxFirefox - Another Windows build that offers better performance and stability.
- Pigfoot - VC9-release patch, tweaks profile patch, Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22.87, Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin 188.8.131.52, Reduce memory usage, Speed improvement by using Profile-Guided Optimization (PGO), Support Mozilla Update Channel since Firefox 184.108.40.206.
- RPM Builds (Mac G3, G4) - Optimised for G3, G4 (7450 & 7400).
- Swiftfox (Linux) - Swiftfox is an optimized build of Mozilla Firefox. Swiftfox has builds for both AMD and Intel processors and is based on the most cutting edge Firefox source code available.
- tete009 - optimized version of Firefox. (gone)
- Waterfox - A 64-bit only browser for Windows that is following Mozilla's official release schedule.
If you know of a custom build that has not been included in the list let us know in the comments so that we can add it to it.Advertisement