AutoVer Automatic Software Versioning
Versioning is a pretty useful concept. It basically means backing up documents and files before changes are made to them so that the user can revert back to a previous version if the need arises.
Versioning is not limited to text documents, it can also be used for images, scripts and any other file type.
AutoVer is a automatic software versioning application that monitors folders on your hard drive and creates backups of those files whenever they are changed. It's like a real-time incremental backup solution for all files in folders that you select.
The files are backed up automatically to another folder on the same drive or another storage location.
Each folder that is being monitored has its own settings which means the application is highly customizable. It's even possible to store the backup folder on a USB drive which gets synced whenever it is connected to the computer.
- Select any number of separate folders or folder trees (including sub folders) to watch for changes - each folder tree has its own independent settings
- Select straight backup or versioning mode
- Select any folder or drive to backup to (including memory sticks)
- Optionally create an initial backup before the automatic backup starts and ensure it is current on every startup
- Restrict which files and folders to include and exclude (by file mask) & maximum size
- Change the versioning datetime stamp format (and you can use this to restrict the rate of which the versions are stored)
- Optionally zip or delete old versions after a specified time
- Optionally delete backup files on original file deletion
- Fault tolerance in case your backup folder/drive goes off line or source files are locked. USB & Firewire drives sync'ed when they come online
- MS Office, Visual Studio plus many others supported (temp file creation, delete then rename is treated as original file change)
- Backup file & version explorer included
- Open backups or file versions directly (file extensions are preserved) or via inbuilt explorer
- Compare file versions (using customisable external application)
- Restore file versions via inbuilt explorer or manually
- Runs discretely in the Windows System Tray.
Update: We have reviewed a recent version of AutoVer here.Advertisement