Add PC Wide Keyboard Shortcuts
Keyboard shortcuts make our life easier, hitting Win +M is a lot faster than having to minimize every window by hand. Windows XP already has a method of assigning new keyboard shortcuts to programs but this method is very limited. You are only allowed to assign shortcuts using a combination of at least two Ctrl, ALT and SHIFT keys plus one additional letter, number or symbol.
Clavier is a freeware that extends the capabilities of keyboard shortcuts in windows xp. You are free to use almost any key for the shortcut including the windows key. The interface is pretty straightforward - it displays a list of all current keywords with their shortcuts.
To add a new keyboard shortcut you simply click on the + symbol below the shortcut list and select either a program from the start menu, internet favorites (IE only), a special char, a folder, a text that you want written, a program to launch or display website.
- Program: Select a program from your start menu that you want to open with the keyboard shortcut.
- Internet Favorite: Select a favorite that shall be loaded into the current browser with this shortcut. Favorites are imported from Internet Explorer only.
- Special Char: Display a special char with this shortcut.
- Open Folder: Use the keyboard shortcut to open the selected folder.
- Write Text: Write a text and create a shortcut out of it. You could for instance create a pc wide shortcut for your email address, a signature or even a letter.
- Launch a Program: This launches a program from the destination that you select. Many programs are not available in the start menu, that is why this option exists.
- Display a Website: This is similar to the Internet Favorite shortcut. The difference is that you specify the url by yourself with display a website.
Clavier has a built in autostart option which should be activated if you want to use it on a regular basis. It currently supports two languages: English and French. It is Open Source and does not have to be installed on the system if you download and unpack the version without installer from the authors website.
- Open the interface and select Language to change the default interface language.
- To start the program with Windows, check the box in the settings.
- You can modify any existing shortcut displayed in the program's interface by double-clicking on it. This opens the editor where you can assign a new shortcut or condition.
- Three conditions are available: Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock state. This basically defines that a keyboard can only be executed on the system if one or multiple of the selected conditions are met.