WinRAR 5.90 Final is out
RARLAB, the developer of WinRAR and the RAR compression format, has released WinRAR 5.90 to the public. The new version of the shareware program for Windows introduces numerous new features, improvements, and fixes. The last version of WinRAR, WinRAR 5.80, was released in December 2019.
WinRAR 5.90 is already available for the supported operating systems Windows, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Linux, and Android. Existing users may download the latest version of the compression software from the developer website to install it over a currently installed version. WinRAR does not support automatic updates.
Select Help > About WinRAR to check the installed version before and after installation to verify that everything went smoothly.
WinRAR 5.90 Final
Interested users may check out the release notes for the new version directly. Since it is quite a long list, here is a summary of the most important changes in WinRAR 5.90:
- RAR compression speed improved on systems with processors with 16 and more cores.
- The maximum number of threads that WinRAR uses has been increased from 32 to 64- The command line switch -mt accepts values between 1 and 64 to reflect the change.
- The new "threads" input field in the settings replaces the multithreading parameter. It accepts values between 1 and the number of cores of the CPU.
- When browsing archived contents, packed and unpacked sizes are now displayed.
- RAR5 archive repair performance has improved.
- Progress bar and cancel button are displayed if the reading of archives takes noticeable time.
- Some windows, archiving and extraction progress windows may be resized now.
Several bugs are fixed in the new version next to that including a fix for repair displaying "Recovery record is corrupt" when in fact it was not. While the message did not impact a successful repair operation, it did irritate users.
Now You: which compression tool do you use and why?Advertisement