Folder Move: move programs or games without losing functionality
Folder Move is a free portable program for Microsoft's Windows operating system to move the content of a folder to another destination without losing access to the files in the original folder.
Why would you want to move installed programs or games to another folder without losing access to the original folder? The prime reason is that you are running low on disk space on the original drive or partition and want to free up space this way.
You could also move a game to another drive this way if an update requires more storage, or to make room for other games or programs that you want to install on the primary drive without losing access to older software or games.
Folder Move is a straightforward application. Download the less-than-1-Megabyte program from the official website (link in the summary box below this review) and run the application afterward.
Note: You need to run the program with elevated rights by right-clicking on the executable file and selecting the "run as administrator" option from the context menu.
The entire process is done in three simple steps:
- Select the source folder that contains the files and subfolders that you want to move to a new location.
- Select the destination folder that you want to move all files and subfolders of the source folder to.
- Click on "move and set Symbolic link" to start the process.
The program creates symbolic links that point from the original folder to the new folder. Windows and any program that try to access the files in the source folder will be redirected behind the scenes to the new destination so that access is guaranteed.
You may want to test the functionality to make sure the process completed successfully. You can use a free program like NTFS Links View to display the symbolic links.
Folder Move is an easy to use program for Windows to move the content of a folder to another destination without losing access to the data in the original folder. The process ensures that you retain access to installed software or games without reinstallation.
Check out the following resources to learn more about symbolic links:
- Create NTFS Junctions aka Directory symbolic links
- Find Equal Files: duplicate file finder with symbolic link feature
- Get to know Linux: Links
- Linkmaker for Windows: create shortcuts and symbolic links
- Windows 10 Creators Update: Symlinks without elevation