KB4089848 for Windows 10 version 1709
KB4089848 is a new cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) that increases the version of the operating system to build 16299.334 after installation.
The update fixes issues in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and comes along with the dreaded "update failed to install" message even though that is not the case.
The support page on the Microsoft website lists key changes only which indicates that the update may include other changes that Microsoft did not list. That's a standard phrase, however, that Microsoft uses regularly in update descriptions.
Note: We suggest you back up the entire Windows 10 partition before you install any update on the system so that you may restore it to a previous version if you run into issues after installation of the update.
KB4089848 is distributed through Windows Update but it is also available as a standalone download on the Microsoft Update Catalog website. The Microsoft Update Catalog download has a size of 401 Megabytes for the 32-bit version and 735 Megabytes for the 64-bit version.
The Windows Update version should be considerably smaller.
- Use Windows-I to open the Settings application.
- Select Update & Security.
- Activate the "check for updates" button to run a manual update check.
Windows Update should download and install the cumulative update KB4089848.
KB4089848: the changes
The following issues are fixed when you update the system using the patch KB4089848:
- Fixed GDI handle leak in the Windows Ribbon control.
- Bluetooth devices did not receive data after restarts, and Bluetooth card readers did not work after a restart.
- Fixed Encrypting File System (EFS) file corruption issue during Bitlocker decryption or encryption tasks.
- Upgrading to Windows 10 version 1709 from version 1607 did not preserve the Start Menu tiles sometimes.
- Press and hold feature issue when using a pen in tablet mode.
- Addressed touch keyboard issue when editing web password fields.
- Fixed Microsoft Edge PDF rendering issue if documents used backgrounds created using various third-party tools.
- Changing cameras rapidly on a device stopped the media platform from responding.
- Addressed another media platform stops responding issue that affected Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Fixed spatial audio issue when used with Dolby Atmos for headphones.
- Fixed a credential prompt requiring elevated rights issue with devices set up with Windows AutoPilot.
- Group Policies might fail if the Windows Defender Firewall policy rule exceeds 260 characters.
- Fixed error message "Requested value â€˜SeDelegateSessionUserImpersonatePrivilegeâ€™ was not found" by the new privilege "Obtain an impersonation token for another user in the same session".
- Fixed cluster failover issue triggered by an iSCSI Reset.
- Fixed stop error issue if the disk is pending removal during pass-through SCSI requests in MPIO.
- Addressed error "Stop D1 in tcpip!TcpSegmentTcbSend"Â during file transfers.
- Fixed file access errors when accessing WebDAV files or folders on a SharePoint site if the name contains multibyte characters.
- Fixed corruption issue of the Remote Desktop License Report if it exceeds 4 Kilobytes.
- Azure point-to-site VPN connections that use IKEv2 may fail if the device has a large number of trusted root certificates.
- Windows Server version 1709 issue where users can't activate OK after entering credentials in the command line.
In other news:
Microsoft released KB4088891Â for Windows 10 version 1703 which is a cumulative update for the Creators Update version of Windows 10. It fixes fewer issues:
- Addresses issue with a GDI handle leak in the Windows Ribbon control.
- Addresses issue where, during BitLocker decryption or encryption of a drive, files protected with the Encrypting File System (EFS) may become corrupted
- Addresses issue where, when an iSCSI request contains an incomplete header in the first packet, iSCSI may not recognize when a request has been sent.
- Adds support in stornvme for additional SSDs.
- Addresses issue where the Japanese keyboard layout was not functioning properly during a Remote Assistance session.
- Addresses rendering issue in Microsoft Edge for PDF documents with backgrounds created using various third-party publishing tools.
Microsoft released KB4088825Â for Windows 10 version 1703 as well. It is a Servicing Stack Update and is rated critical.
Windows 10 version 1607 systems have update KB4088889 which they may download. It fixes a lot of issues, most of which are Windows Server 2016 related.
And, then there is KB4089510 which is a Servicing Stack update for Windows 10 version 1607.Advertisement