LibreOffice 3.6 released, download via web or torrent
The developers of LibreOffice have just released version 3.6 of the Office program. It is a lesser known alternative to Microsoft Office and OpenOffice that is available as a web download or as a torrent. LibreOffice 3.6 is a major release that introduces a number of feature updates and new features to the suite as a whole or individual programs.
Most notably - probably - are the performance improvements in the new version that you will notice when importing Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents, working with pivot tables in Calc (The Excel-like application) and when you scroll and layout large documents.
Here is a list of changes and additions that sound useful for users of the program. You find the full list of features and fixes on this page.
- Word count is now displayed directly in Writer's status bar
- Import filter for Corel Draw documents
- Support for importing Office Smartart
- PDF Export with watermark option
- Support for color scales and data bars
- Support for contextual spacing in Writer
- Cells can now be merged with a right-click in Calc
- The CSV file import filter has been improved, now handles lines with more than 64k characters
- Widescreen format for Impress slideshows
- 10 new master pages for Impress
- Impress now detects the external display correctly, and puts the presenter console on the local display
- General cleanup of the interface, e.g. 3D borders were removed
The latest version of LibreOffice is as usual available for all supported operating systems, Windows, Linux and Mac, and all supported languages. LibreOffice is a solid replacement for Microsoft Office, especially if you are working on computer systems running Linux as well as Windows.
Since we are right at it: which Office program or programs are you using, and why? Are you using Microsoft Office, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, or maybe even another Office suite other than the three major ones?Advertisement