Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center to manage Microsoft hardware released
If you are the owner of a Microsoft keyboard or mouse you up until now had to rely on IntelliPoint and IntelliType Pro drivers to add full support for the devices. While it is without doubt possible to simply use generic drivers that ship with Windows to use basic mouse and keyboard functionality, special features may become only available after you install the drivers.
One of the issues that users may have experienced in the past is that you had to download and install two different drivers if you had more than one Microsoft peripheral connected to the PC.
That's going to change with the release of Microsoft's Mouse and Keyboard Center for Windows 7 and Windows 8. It is basically a unified driver for all Microsoft mice and keyboards so that you can control all device functionalities from a single application interface.
A 32-bit and 64-bit version of the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center is provided by Microsoft which both provide the same functionality. One can see immediately after startup that the program has been designed with Windows 8 in mind. Not only can it be launched from the Windows 8 start screen, its interface resembles other configuration screens of the Windows 8 operating system as you can see from the screenshot above.
When you start the program after installation you will notice that it will automatically detect the installed hardware. You need to make sure that it is connected to the PC at the time, and if you are using Bluetooth devices, you need to make sure the connection has been set up before you start the program.
Some devices may not be supported by the Mouse and Keyboard Center You can check mice and keyboard compatibility on this troubleshooting page. As far as Mice go, you will notice that mice like the Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 7000, the IntelliMouse Optical or the IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 are not supported by the Mouse and Keyboard Center. As far as keyboards go, there are a few that are not supported a swell. Consult the following table for a full list:
- Comfort Optical Mouse 1000
- Compact Optical Mouse
- IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0
- IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth
- Laser Mouse 6000
- Notebook Optical Mouse
- Optical Mouse
- Optical Mouse by Starck
- Standard Wireless Optical Mouse
- Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth
- Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000
- Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 7000
- Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse
- Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000
- IntelliMouse Optical
- Mobile Memory Mouse 8000
- Wireless Laser Mouse 6000
- Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0
- Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Fingerprint Reader
- Wheel Mouse
- Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth
- Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
- MultiMedia Keyboard
- Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard
- Wireless Keyboard 2000
- Wireless Optical Desktop for Bluetooth Keyboard
- Wireless Photo Keyboard
- Internet Keyboard
- Wireless MultiMedia Keyboard
- Wireless Comfort Keyboard 4000
- Wireless Comfort Keyboard
- Wireless Laser Keyboard 5000
- Natural MultiMedia Keyboard
- Wired Keyboard 500