Microsoft Patch Day June 2011 Overview
Microsoft has released a total of 16 security bulletins on this month's patch day. Patch day refers to the second Tuesday of each month on which Microsoft will release security patches. This month's patch day consists of many different patches. Nine of the 16 bulletins have a maximum severity rating of critical, the highest possible rating, the remaining 7 bulletins a rating of important.
Highest possible means that at least one operating system or application has received that rating. It happens that all programs receive the same rating, but it is often not the case.
When you look at affected software programs you will notice that the majority of bulletins resolve issues under Microsoft Windows. Other Microsoft software affected includes Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office or the Microsoft .Net Framework.
Detailed bulletin information have not been released at this point. Windows users can however check for updates to download and install the security patches right away. This is done via Start Menu > All Programs > Windows Update.
I will update this guide as soon as more information become available.
Update: The June security bulletins have been posted.
- MS11-038 - Vulnerability in OLE Automation Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2476490)
- MS11-039 - Vulnerability in .NET Framework and Microsoft Silverlight Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2514842)
- MS11-040 - Vulnerability in Threat Management Gateway Firewall Client Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2520426)
- MS11-041 - Vulnerability in Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2525694)
- MS11-042 - Vulnerabilities in Distributed File System Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2535512)
- MS11-043 - Vulnerability in SMB Client Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2536276)
- MS11-044 - Vulnerability in .NET Framework Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2538814)
- MS11-050 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (2530548)
- MS11-052 - Vulnerability in Vector Markup Language Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2544521)
- MS11-037 - Vulnerability in MHTML Could Allow Information Disclosure (2544893)
- MS11-045 - Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Excel Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2537146)
- MS11-046 - Vulnerability in Ancillary Function Driver Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2503665)
- MS11-047 - Vulnerability in Hyper-V Could Allow Denial of Service (2525835)
- MS11-048 - Vulnerability in SMB Server Could Allow Denial of Service (2536275)
- MS11-049 - Vulnerability in the Microsoft XML Editor Could Allow Information Disclosure (2543893)
- MS11-051 - Vulnerability in Active Directory Certificate Services Web Enrollment Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2518295)
You get an overview of all patches on the security bulletin summary page over at Microsoft. It lists for instance the individual severity level of all affected operating systems and applications. Patches do not seem to have been posted yet on Microsoft Download Center.Advertisement