Windows Registry Recovery
Windows Registry Recovery is a software program that has been designed to recover data after a computer crash. It was designed to extract data from the Registry hives of a crashed system with the option to analyze and export these information to import them on a new computer system.
Why could this be important? The Windows Registry contains important information about configured devices, users, software programs, network configurations or services and drivers and it might be faster and easier to copy those settings to the new installation instead of configuring the system manually.
The data recovery program can read all Registry hives. The hives can be found in the Windows\System32\config directory and can only be loaded if they are not in use. This is usually the case if you are accessing a crashed installation from a new system,
Data can be exported into Regedit4 format which makes it easy to import it to a different system. It is also possible to save the data as CSV files to analyze them in other applications.
Windows Registry Recovery provides access to the following information:
- File Information - In this explorer you can see basic file properties and checksums.
- Security Record Explorer - Displays all security records used in registry. Usage counter, owner SID, group SID, list of affected keys and list of SACL and DACL is displayed for every record with flags and permissions enumerated. This explorer is available only for NT based system registry hives.
- SAM - Displays Machine SID and part of SYSKEY. Enumerates local user and group accounts and some of their properties. This explorer is available only for NT based system registry SAM hive.
- Windows Installation - Displays Windows name, ID and key, install date and user registration info. Enumerates installed software with descriptions and install date and list of installed hotfixes wih description. This explorer is available only SOFTWARE registry hive (Product ID and key are extracted in SYSTEM hive too).
- Control Set - Displays all configured devices that worked on host machine. They are displayed in "like Device Manager" tree with some properties. This explorer is available for SYSTEM registry hive.
- User Data - Displays user and machine name and tree based Start menu for selected USER hive. This explorer is available for USER registry hive.
- Startup Applications - Enumerates applications that are registered to be run after startup. This explorer is available for SOFTWARE registry hive.
- Services and Drivers - Enumerates all installed services and drivers with properties. This explorer is available only for NT based system registry SYSTEM hive.
- Network Configuration - Displays all installed network clients, protocols and services. Enumerates all defined network connections with its TCP/IP configuration. This explorer is available only for NT based system registry SYSTEM hive.
- Environment - Displays all environment variables. This explorer is available only for NT based system registry SYSTEM hive.
- Shell Folders - Displays shell folders (folders known to system). This explorer is available only for NT based system registry SYSTEM hive.
- Outlook Express - Digs out all Outlook Express accounts and their settings. This explorer is available only for NT based system registry USER hive.
- Raw Data - This explorer displays whole registry in known tree format. Contains powerful searching and data interpreter.
The data recovery software can be downloaded directly from the developers homepage. It is compatible with all Windows versions from Windows 95 to Windows Vista. The software program is fully portable.Advertisement