Itunes Error 69 when syncing iPod
The Apple iTunes software started to display Error 69 recently whenever it tried to sync data between my iPod and the software program.
The full error message read: "Attempting to copy to the disk failed. An unknown error occurred (-69). That message is not really that helpful if you ask me. I figured that this was some kind of transfer problem and decided to investigate it further.
I started the syncing again in iTunes and monitored the songs that were successfully synced with the iPod. Error 69 appeared again of course but this time I remembered the last song that was synced and decided to remove it for now from the iPod and iTunes to see if it would resolve the issue.
After that I restarted the syncing process and it went through without a problem. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate method of getting rid of ipod error 69 in iTunes but it helped me.I ripped the song again from the music CD, copied it back, and the copy synced fine from that moment on.
This time it would sync without difficulties which was a relief. I hate it when an album on my iPod or PC is missing a track.
The song may have been corrupt or use some sort of character set that is not supported by iTunes or the iPod. That's the best explanation that I can come up with right now. If you run into the same issue, try and remember the song where the synchronization process stops, remove that song from the queue and start again afterwards. If all goes well, you should be able to sync the remaining library with your iPod and avoid the error message from then on.
Apple has a support page up on its website that offers instructions about the error as well. It confirms what I figured out, that the transfer error is caused by a bad file. Apple's solution is more or less the same that I discovered, but it may still help to read it as well.Advertisement